Burning an ISO image of Windows XP. Please Help.

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm having trouble burning a .iso of Windows XP SP2

I have tried the following:

1) Open Disk Utility
2) File > Open Disk Image
3) Burn

--or--

1) Open Toast Titanium
2) Click Copy tab
3) Drag iso
4) Record

They both burn successfully. However, when I try using it as the installation disc for BootCamp is says "No Installer CD was found. Insert Windows XP CD and wait a few seconds for the disc to be recognized"

This happened on both occasions. When I open the CD in finder all the items are unpacked. It has a list of the different folders and .exe's, etc.

Is this how it should be? Also I burned the ISO onto a DVD. Does that make any difference?

I have been at this for hours, searching the internet and other threads in this forum and it's driving me crazy. A reply would be greatly appreciated.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello,

I'm having trouble burning a .iso of Windows XP SP2

I have tried the following:

1) Open Disk Utility
2) File > Open Disk Image
3) Burn

--or--

1) Open Toast Titanium
2) Click Copy tab
3) Drag iso
4) Record

They both burn successfully. However, when I try using it as the installation disc for BootCamp is says "No Installer CD was found. Insert Windows XP CD and wait a few seconds for the disc to be recognized"

This happened on both occasions. When I open the CD in finder all the items are unpacked. It has a list of the different folders and .exe's, etc.

Is this how it should be? Also I burned the ISO onto a DVD. Does that make any difference?

I have been at this for hours, searching the internet and other threads in this forum and it's driving me crazy. A reply would be greatly appreciated.

It doesn't sound like the disc is bootable. Many programs that create images of discs fail to capture the boot files as they are not a normal part of the filesystem. Also, I don't know for sure, but I believe it has to be a true CD, not a DVD since XP never did ship on a DVD (that I'm aware of). Check these instructions for creating a bootable Windows XP CD (with SP2 slipstreamed).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
when i burned mine, i had to do it on a PC. i couldn't figure a way to get a mac program to burn a bootable PC disk and have it actually work the way it was supposed to.
but i put one together on the PC and it worked fine.

- you've got a message, by the way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.