Built-In iSight on MBP, record while minimized?

Reaction score
Hi guys, new here.

I've had the 13in MBP for a few months now and I love it, I am also very protective over it as I am all my things, this however means nothing to my roommate. He still messes with my stuff while I'm not around which gets me upset, but I cannot prove it.

I was wondering of anyone knew of a way to make the iSight record while it was minimized (when I turn it on and minimize it, it stops recording video) or any motion detection software (maybe free, in college, have no money, lol).

Perhaps a way to have the cam record video while the laptop was in use, without the little green light or Photo Booth open?

Is this possible?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This seems like a way around the block a couple of times just to see if the roomie is using your MBP.
ATM im house sharing and to stop the riff raff from playing with my toy (and i know they want to because the are jealous) is to set up a pass word so they cant access it.
Even if i go to make a cuppa i have a hot corner set up for *sleep* with pass word.

Best solution all round really if you ask me.

Setting up iSight to record, just think if you are out for a few hrs how much space it will take up on your MBP .....
Sorry cant answer your question but think about it .... Security isnt recording someone doing wrong on your machine ... By then it could all be too late :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Nannycam!

You could lock it, like TattooedMac mentioned. Or you could be a pal and give the poor guy his own logon. Then you can log off when you're not using it. If you have the admin account, you can set limits as to what he does and doesn't have permissions to on his guest account. I've had roommates before and it's always best to smooth things over when possible. Avoid confrontations.

OP
P
Reaction score
Well, it's not that he's using my things, it's that I'm a clean freak, and afraid of what happens to them.....

Anyway, no info on keeping the cam going while minimized?

Reaction score
I can't help you with the minimized question, but really, what would recording him do, you already know he's messing with your stuff. Tell him not to. If he keeps at it, get a lock and a hasp for your room and lock it, or move out, or get him to move out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I can't help you with the minimized question, but really, what would recording him do, you already know he's messing with your stuff. Tell him not to. If he keeps at it, get a lock and a hasp for your room and lock it, or move out, or get him to move out.

You cant fight logic like that !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.