BT/WiFi storage

Reaction score
I have hundreds of gigabytes of movies/songs, etc.. which I've bought online over the years. Since now we're seeing predictions of internet outages for weeks at a time due to "extremists", and since we're seeing general instability, I was thinking I'd like to download all of the stuff for my family to local storage that doesn't require internet to watch. 6 or so years ago I bought a storage device that was like a bluetooth san device. It was one of the first of its kind but only held 25gb or so. OBVIOUSLY technology has advanced quite a bit. Usually I'm a bit anal about what I buy and I do thorough research in advance but I'm insanely busy so I'm looking for suggestions. I want either wifi/BT remote san, accessible by ipads/iphones and if it's something that I can swap out storage to increase it, and of course also clone as needed, that's even better. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Unless there is a good reason for wanting BT/WiFi, a good solution would be a network-capable drive, generally referred to as Network Attached Storage, or NAS. Once in your network, it's avaialble to any and all devices connected to your network and is operating system agnostic, that is, it does not care, any device that can see it can access the files on it. There are many, and many prices. You can start at OWC:

Generally, what most folks do is to populate a multi-drive system with what they need now, and add more later. Given that it's going to be accessed by the network, SSD speeds are not needed, so good rotating drives do just fine.

There are also "full round" solutions, albeit lacking the flexibility. WD makes them and calls them MyCloud. I have two and they have been good for me. Other folks here don't like WD products, so they will undoubtedly chime in trashing WD, and that's fine.

You can also search at Amazon, using "NAS Storage" as the search terms and see lots of options.

EDIT: Oh, and just to be perfectly clear, the best way to attach to the network is via an Ethernet cable from the NAS to your router, then any device connected to your network, whether by WiFi or Ethernet cable, can see the storage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I have been looking at setting up a home media system myself, so far I've just been reading and researching. I do have 2 separate drives for my audio and video media. They WD My Books USB3 drives. Right now they're connected to my M1 Studio, and I haven't set up the streaming part yet.

I came across this the other day,

Hopefully it can help you decide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Thanks Patrick That error was probably because I opened the page a few days ago, and haven't refreshed the page since.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.