Browsers starting to not be able to update on High Sierra

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 Monterey, iMac 27 Mid 2011 High Sierra, MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Catalina
Hi all,

I normally use Google Chrome as my default browser. Recently it has been telling me it needs to update and it can not anymore because it is no longer compatible with/supports my OS which is High Sierra. I am seeing that with some other browsers too I think, I very rarely use them. High Sierra is the last version my mid-2011 iMac can run.

I take it the issue has to do with the underlying browser core that is used by many different ones.

What are people doing about this? I can't be the only one... What browsers are not in this situation and will continue to be happy and current on my computer? Safari is not a solution since it stopped updating when the OS stopped of course.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Safari works fine on High Sierra. Version 13.1.2 is as far as it can go; but it still works fine.

To make the point, I've posted this using my old iMac using High Sierra. ;) :)

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 Monterey, iMac 27 Mid 2011 High Sierra, MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Catalina
Yes, I agree that that version of Safari still works. But, it is over 3 years old, and getting progressively further out of date. There is constant advancement in standards and techniques in web content so old versions of browsers get less and less able to handle newer content well. I think I had moved from Safari to Chrome well before this version because it did not work as well as others. Largely I think because of those factors.

Of course there is also the need to keep up with security issues.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I normally use Google Chrome as my default browser. Recently it has been telling me it needs to update and it can not anymore because it is no longer compatible with/supports my OS which is High Sierra. I am seeing that with some other browsers too I think, I very rarely use them. High Sierra is the last version my mid-2011 iMac can run.

...What browsers are not in this situation and will continue to be happy and current on my computer?

There are no browsers that will continue to be backwards compatible with High Sierra. The best that you can do is get the last version of the most advanced browser you can find for High Sierra. That browser should be satisfactory for a few years. However, in time, even this browser will be too outdated to surf the Web with reliably, and you will long for a new (or just newer) Mac.

There is an archive of older versions of Brave for the Mac:

https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases/
https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/releases?page=15
https://www.fosshub.com/Brave-Browser-old.html

...and I know for sure that there WAS a version of Brave for High Sierra. (There was even one for Sierra, and El Capitan before that.) You will likely have to try a few older versions until you hit on the most recent version that still works.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes, I agree that that version of Safari still works. But, it is over 3 years old, and getting progressively further out of date. There is constant advancement in standards and techniques in web content so old versions of browsers get less and less able to handle newer content well. I think I had moved from Safari to Chrome well before this version because it did not work as well as others. Largely I think because of those factors.

Of course there is also the need to keep up with security issues.
Uhh, your iMac is 12+ years old. Stick with the versions of app you have and use it until it starts to misbehave. You can always use the version of Safari that came with macOS, so you'll always have a browser to use.

But want to stay up to date, you'll have to upgrade your Mac.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uhh, your iMac is 12+ years old. Stick with the versions of app you have and use it until it starts to misbehave. You can always use the version of Safari that came with macOS, so you'll always have a browser to use.

But want to stay up to date, you'll have to upgrade your Mac.
Which is what I am now working on (elsewhere here I have been asking questions around serious issues on the current mid-2011 27" iMac itself).

Wandering around on the web I somehow stumbled on a page at OWC offering a 2017 27' iMac. Looks to be basically the same as i have now, still able to boot High Sierra, able to boot more modern OS versions, also has the 1GB internal SSD I need, and yet within my price range. I hope it is not too good to be true.

BTW, does anyone understand what/who OWC is? Order followup mail has references MacSales.com, but going to that does land on an OWC page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
BTW, does anyone understand what/who OWC is? Order followup mail has references MacSales.com, but going to that does land on an OWC page.
OWC (OtherWorldComputing) = MacSales. Same thing. Great customer service and Mac support.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Totally agree with Bob. I'm in the UK and I've purchased a few items from OWC, mainly powered hubs. Excellent service.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Very hopeful.

The ad said "mint condition". :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Totally agree with Bob. I'm in the UK and I've purchased a few items from OWC

Ditto. They even sell to and support Canadian users and even have a Canadian Outlet. Great product service and support.

PS: I think I recall getting an email from them that included some great sales items very recently which was interesting as I also have a mid-2011 27" iMac (reading El Capitan 10.11.6
Now still working with older and working browsers: Google Chrome, Firefox Safari and Brave.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP retina, 2013 Mac Air, iPhone SE 1st
You are going to have to a 64 bit Mac to get rid of that Chrome message. Obviously that computer cannot upgrade even to Mojave much less Catalina. Even Catalina is not supported any more. Chrome is still working on Mojave but it keeps a message on the screen that tells me I need to upgrade my computer. So I do not want to loose iTunes. Also if I upgrade my 2 Mojave laptops I will need to buy a new printer as my present Canon printer is only 32 bit and they do not have an upgrade for it. So I will wait.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are going to have to a 64 bit Mac to get rid of that Chrome message. Obviously that computer cannot upgrade even to Mojave much less Catalina. Even Catalina is not supported any more. Chrome is still working on Mojave but it keeps a message on the screen that tells me I need to upgrade my computer. So I do not want to loose iTunes. Also if I upgrade my 2 Mojave laptops I will need to buy a new printer as my present Canon printer is only 32 bit and they do not have an upgrade for it. So I will wait.
I am not clear here. My MacBook Pro mid 2015 is on Catalina and Chrome is not complaining there. In fact I just asked it to update and it did.

Also, I am pretty sure the iMac Mid 2011 on High Sierra is 64 bit. Chrome shows:

Version 116.0.5845.187 (Official Build) (x86_64)

I assume that means it is for 64 bit and it is working fine.

The issue seems to be that the iMac can not get past High Sierra, not 32 vs 64 bit, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not clear here. My MacBook Pro mid 2015 is on Catalina and Chrome is not complaining there. In fact I just asked it to update and it did.

Also, I am pretty sure the iMac Mid 2011 on High Sierra is 64 bit. Chrome shows:

Version 116.0.5845.187 (Official Build) (x86_64)

I assume that means it is for 64 bit and it is working fine.

The issue seems to be that the iMac can not get past High Sierra, not 32 vs 64 bit, right?
I goofed it up. You are correct. High Sierra and Mojave are both 64 bit but will run 32 bit apps. It is Catalina and beyond that are 64 bit but will not support 32 bit apps.

Reaction score
... if I upgrade my 2 Mojave laptops I will need to buy a new printer as my present Canon printer is only 32 bit and they do not have an upgrade for it.

That's fascinating. Can you please tell me the model of Canon printer you have? I may be able to find you a functional driver for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's fascinating. Can you please tell me the model of Canon printer you have? I may be able to find you a functional driver for it.
That would be great. It is a Pixma MX 470. I have found others on different threads that complain of the same problem. I used the app "Go64" and ran it on both computers and it confirmed that the printer will not run on Catalina or above. 2015 MacBook Pro retina and 2013 MacBook Air. I cannot find any new drivers on Canon's website.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That would be great. It is a Pixma MX 470. I have found others on different threads that complain of the same problem.

Here you go, fresh drivers for your MX470 (my understanding is that the MX472 is identical) for every version of the Mac OS all the way up to and including Sonoma!

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/pixma-mx472

My experience is that, out of all of the printer manufacturers, Canon is the very best at providing updated drivers for the Macintosh.

If you want to find printer drivers, you need to go right to the developer of the printer. If they don't have them, there are open source drivers that often work, and if they don't work, there are commercial printer drivers from third parties. Or, sometimes you can make a driver for a different, similar printer work for you. But in this case Canon has you covered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 16GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
Hi @BobHas - re. browsers, to tide you over until you can upgrade to a new machine, this thread of mine might be of interest to you:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Here you go, fresh drivers for your MX470 (my understanding is that the MX472 is identical) for every version of the Mac OS all the way up to and including Sonoma!

That should help Mac Man 2007 and I wish Canon would change their numbering system when searching on a printer model and they don't seem to make it very clear when they list the driver under a series number such as 470 series or 490 series for the MX472 or MX922 printer/scanners.

It's okay if one already knows that and your info should help out a lot of Canon users not realizing that their device is probably still covered with any needed macOS updates.

But maybe Mac Man 2007 might want to check on any needed OS features he could use or needs before updating from his Mojave OS which I assume everything is working well there.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.