Brand new Mini slow???

Reaction score
Hi,
i just bought a brand new Mini,2 weeks ago,(Intel Core i5,2.5 GHz ,4GB RAM),running OS X 10.9.5...sometimes internet works fine,fast,but mostly it`s slow.All other devices(Pad`s,pad mini,phone, works fine,so i don't think it`s Comcast modem).All other programs are running OK. Any advise?
Thank you

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i just bought a brand new Mini,2 weeks ago...

How close to 2 weeks are we talking? Apple does have a 14 day return policy. If this doesn't work…I'm sure if you have Apple take a look at it…they will fix whatever the problem is.:)

By the way…the thread title says "Brand new Mini slow." Is the slowness just Wifi/internet related?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please don't double post. The 2nd thread was deleted.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
It`s more than 2 weeks :) It might be internet,not sure.Also have a IPad 2, and 2 iPad`s Mini,and they are working OK,but now that i`m thinking about it,sometimes Netflix would pause for couple of seconds?! BTW,this is my first Mac (lot to learn)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All I can say is…internet speeds can be tricky. Sometimes the slowness is on your end (your ISP, your neighborhood, your equipment, etc.)…and sometimes it can be the websites you are visiting (maybe the website has a lot of traffic).

I know that you said that your other devices (iPads and phones) seem faster…so this could be an indication the Mini is having trouble (but then maybe not since it's only 2 weeks old).

Try visiting the website "Speedtest.net"…and run the "speed test". It will give you your upload & download speeds. Then you can use these values for comparison between devices (or at different times…today, tomorrow, next week).

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Bought at Best Buy. I did speed test several times in about 20 min. and have different results;
download speed: 29.9 , 5.12 , 3.05 , 2.68 , 30.4
upload speed; 6.1 , 1.1 , 0.9 , 1.0 , 6.0
Thank for the replys.
Darko

C

chas_m

This is something you'll need to take up with your ISP. It's nothing to do with the Mac mini, from the looks of those speedtest results.

Reaction score
did you update to the latest modem from comcast your speed issues are caused because the new modems from comcast turn on your modem as a wireless hotspot and robs internet connection speed to give people free internet access through your modem

OP
D
Reaction score
yes i did,maybe a month ago.and i can see a lot more available network around me.Why would they do that?

Reaction score
It`s more than 2 weeks :) It might be internet,not sure.Also have a IPad 2, and 2 iPad`s Mini,and they are working OK,but now that i`m thinking about it,sometimes Netflix would pause for couple of seconds?! BTW,this is my first Mac (lot to learn)

You seem to be having trouble using the spacebar.

What you are complaining about is network speed which is separate from the computer speed.

Modern Mac minis are no slouches, but they are small and it occurs to me you simply have it tucked somewhere where it is not picking up your wireless router very well. Shielded by something very solid or metal perhaps. Also if it does not have large amounts of RAM it is limited in how many tabs it can keep open in your browser/s.

Test your Internet speed by using an Ethernet cable connected directly to your router and by moving the Mac mini to a more open position, possibly in line of sight with the router.

Also aerials are not universally sensitive, turn the router and the Mac mini to see if that improves reception. Failing that it is possible to use the Network Utility to get the Mac mini to rove the available wireless bands to find one with less interference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.