Brand new and need help please,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I have recently become the proud owner of a mac, but a programme called jpeg compress, that I used to use with the pc isnt compatible with mac and I cant find anything similar.

I often need to compress images to below 18kb without losing too much quality or shrinking to the size of a stamp so that they can be placed on forum web site. I have tried Resize, chocoflop, Photo complete, Imagewell, Downsized, Easycrop, stuffit (didnt like it at all), Photodrop, iresize, and nothing works as well as jpeg compress does, or even ms paint.

I am waiting to find out about when photoshop elements will be upgraded from 4 to 5, but I dont think that it will do the job either. I even downloaded the trial version of aperture to check it out.

Has anyone got any advice please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
I would be curious as to what the original image you're trying to compress is (size & resolution). I find it hard to believe that none of those programs can do the job - however, I've also never heard of any of them other than ImageWell which I know makes overly large jpgs and StuffIt Deluxe (which is a FILE compression app, not an IMAGE compression app).

Have you tried Graphic Converter? It's excellent. Photoshop Elements will also be good.

Can you post the original image here (or a link to it) so I can try it with a few different apps? Maybe I can get the results you want and let you know what I used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I have to agree with Creative Guy, most websites just need you too follow a size guideline such as 800x800 pixels no larger than 200kb which can easily be done with most photographic applications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.