Bought a G3 All-In-One!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Well, I've had my eye on some PowerMac G3 All-In-Ones on eBay, and I finally found one that looked decent. Including shipping, the whole thing was $77.00, including keyboard and mouse. I'm excited. I just hope the condition is as described in the auction. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Congratz! When you get it you are the proud owner of an Apple classic! :)

J

jerodhusvar

Padawan said:
Well, I've had my eye on some PowerMac G3 All-In-Ones on eBay, and I finally found one that looked decent. Including shipping, the whole thing was $77.00, including keyboard and mouse. I'm excited. I just hope the condition is as described in the auction. :D

Excellent! I posted a link to one of those the other week. I didn't know what, exactly, it was. :) Rumour has it that it'll run OS X. :)

jjh

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
jerodhusvar said:
Excellent! I posted a link to one of those the other week. I didn't know what, exactly, it was. :) Rumour has it that it'll run OS X. :)

jjh

It will, but I might stick with OS 9 for more old-school flavor. ;) There are also a bunch of upgrades I can do, so it will give me a project to work on and keep me busy.

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
witeshark said:
Congratz! When you get it you are the proud owner of an Apple classic! :)

:D Circa 1998, and only produced for 6 months.

D

dtx3000

i used a g3 all in one today. we've got loads of em at school. make sure you dust them often - the ones here are (i don't exaggerate) filled with dust. in the floppy drives and everything.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Unless it has USB, the highest you can go is Jaguar.

J

jerodhusvar

Absolute Zero said:
Unless it has USB, the highest you can go is Jaguar.

What about if you add a USB card? (Which I would think is essential in this day and age...)

jjh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I would keep it in OS 9 for the classic look, it will be a true classic, well it is :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No Mac deserves OS 9.

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Absolute Zero said:
No Mac deserves OS 9.

LOL - I actually like 9, and since it will be a secondary machine just for fun, I think I'm going to stick with an OS from it's own time period. ;) I might even run 8 instead, but I'm not sure what the application support is like with that.

A

Admiral Spock

Is this a Molar system? The first G3 AIO? I've seen loads of those on eBay... with the dual floppy drives...People actually got them to run OSX because they are simple to upgrade...

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Admiral Spock said:
Is this a Molar system? The first G3 AIO? I've seen loads of those on eBay... with the dual floppy drives...People actually got them to run OSX because they are simple to upgrade...

I'm unfamiliar with the term Molar system, but yes, it's the first G3 AIO. Basically, it was a beige Power Macintosh G3 placed in an AIO case with a 15" display. I'm not sure how far I'm going to take the upgrades yet, but they certainly are simple to upgrade. Here's mine:

12_1_b.JPG

Just waiting to hear from the seller. I already sent the payment via Paypal, so I'm getting just slightly concerned that he hasn't emailed me about it yet (auction ended Thursday afternoon).

By the way, when was Spock promoted to admiral?
thinking.gif
;)

A

Admiral Spock

It's been called a Molar, because it looks like one. Do a google search for "Apple Molar" and you'll find info about that model. I myself read about a college technician putting these models in their university, and he described what students thought about it, how it worked, about the upgrades, and the weight, of a whopping 55lbs.

Spock was never promoted to Admiral, but one can dream, can't he? :p

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Admiral Spock said:
It's been called a Molar, because it looks like one. Do a google search for "Apple Molar" and you'll find info about that model. I myself read about a college technician putting these models in their university, and he described what students thought about it, how it worked, about the upgrades, and the weight, of a whopping 55lbs.

Spock was never promoted to Admiral, but one can dream, can't he? :p

LOL - Now that you mention it, it does bear a striking resemblance to tooth. I found that article, and it was pretty neat. Oh, and who knows - if Spock keeps up the good work, it could happen. :D

OP
Padawan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For anyone who is interested, my machine is just shipping out today (or so the seller claims), a mere 6 days and numerous emails after the action's end. Needless to say, I am less than happy with his selling practices, and I can only hope that the computer isn't a total mess when it arrives. I can only caution you to NEVER buy from the eBay seller "djagh". Regardless of what his feedback might say, he is unkind in his emails, provides almost no information once you send payment, and is incredibly slow to ship you item out (although I suspect he'd be upset if I took as long to send payment as he's taken to send the computer). Again, NEVER BUY ANYTHING on eBay from "djagh". :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.