Bottom case without serial number?

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just bought myself a replacement bottom case for my macbook pro because the original one had gone through a lot.
I didnt realize though that the new one would not have the computer's serial number engraved on it.

Do you guys think thats a big deal? I really like the new case but should I tolerate the cosmetics of the old one because of the serial number?
It's not on warranty anymore but maybe I'm missing something important here, like resale value. Perhaps people would steer away from buying it due to the absence of an engraved SN, or even simply because it's not an original part?

What do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well let's be clear. Do you mean Apple repaired the MBP by replacing the bottom case? The technicians are supposed to write the serial number on the inside of the case in permanent texta. If you replaced it yourself of course the serial will not be on it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not on warranty anymore but maybe I'm missing something important here, like resale value. Perhaps people would steer away from buying it due to the absence of an engraved SN, or even simply because it's not an original part?

Don't worry about it. The serial number of your MBP is burned into the firmware. Unless you change out the logic board, the SN will be the same. Of course you can always engrave it on your new bottom case. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
There is a reason way Apple or an AASP write the serial # on the inside of a new bottom case. They can only enter a repair if they can read a visible serial #, and if the logic board has failed in most cases the base serial # is the only source. On some, not all MBP's, the product serial # is also on the memory socket next to the board serial #. You could therefore simply write the serial # inside the bottom cover so you could explain to any potential future purchaser this has been done as new bottom cases aren't supplied with a serial #.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry dream3 I read in an AppleService Manual the number would be written inside the new base.

Suggest you get an engraver and do it yourself as this link suggests:-

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/700411/Apple-Macbook-Air.html?page=24

Apple send me the replacement case straight from the factory, so no one wrote anything on it.

There is a reason way Apple or an AASP write the serial # on the inside of a new bottom case. They can only enter a repair if they can read a visible serial #, and if the logic board has failed in most cases the base serial # is the only source. On some, not all MBP's, the product serial # is also on the memory socket next to the board serial #. You could therefore simply write the serial # inside the bottom cover so you could explain to any potential future purchaser this has been done as new bottom cases aren't supplied with a serial #.

So, you are saying that if I leave the bottom case blank with no serial and there's no way to boot, Apple folks will refuse to repair it, like even if I tell them the serial number? Cause I'm thinking of storing it in several email accounts as oppose to writing it on the case.

And would the serial be the one showing up here?
4GDqP4iVT3qafODP.huge

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No that is the memory module information. Surprised Apple sold it to you, but you can realise why it came with no serial number.

Top left hand corner click on the Apple icon > About this Mac > and up comes the computer information and last entry says Serial Number. Engrave or write that on the inside of the bottom case.

Some years ago I had a new late Dual Core G5 go missing in transit. Fortunately the seller had recorded the serial number and I contacted Apple who put it on a Bulletin notice to resellers and service personnel and I got it back that way when someone wanted some work on it. Alas the alleged owner took off before they could grab him. I always had my money on someone employed by the carrier.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Harry, on the Memory SOCKET is both the Serial Number of the Machine and the EMC number. He is not talking about the numbers on the RAM. On the Socket. TechieSteve backed that up in his post also.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you all guys.

Good thing they've decided to double on the serial number location. Now I dont need to write on my brand-new cover and dont have to worry about losing the serial/no bootable machine.

Best regards to all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
d'uh shows my knowledge on notebooks eh? I still think I would as some folk will double check when you want to sell it, or keep the invoice from the sale.

OP
D
Reaction score
You would what exactly? If you mean writing the serial, I think Id rather leave the case untouched and then if the buyer wants to, he can do it himself by copying from the memory socket.
In any case it would be necessary to open the machine (as I'd never write it on the outside) so I'll just point to where it is, like techiesteve mentioned.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.