Both laptop and iPhone ring on Face Time

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
My wife has a new iPhone 5 and is running Yosemite on her MacBook Pro.
When she receives a Facetime Call both the iPhone and the laptop ring but answering on one does not stop the other from ringing. I'm sure there is a preference to stop that behaviour but I have been unable to find it. Anyone got a simple answer? I'm sure it's simple 'cause they are the things that always fool me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
My wife has a new iPhone 5 and is running Yosemite on her MacBook Pro.
When she receives a Facetime Call both the iPhone and the laptop ring but answering on one does not stop the other from ringing. I'm sure there is a preference to stop that behaviour but I have been unable to find it. Anyone got a simple answer? I'm sure it's simple 'cause they are the things that always fool me.

Hi Rod - wife has had the same issue w/ her iPhone 6 and iMac on Yosemite - believe that it relates to having the same Apple ID and also the ability to do VOIP calls - I'm not that clear (I still have a 'dumb phone') but maybe This Article will help. Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When she receives a Facetime Call both the iPhone and the laptop ring but answering on one does not stop the other from ringing.

Anyone got a simple answer?

Simple answer…yes. Close the display on the MBP or turn off the iPhone!;)

I know it's not the best "tech-savvy" solution…but it is simple.:)

- Nick

p.s. I will be interested to see if there is a better solution.:)

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
We have a similar experience with iPhones and iPads. The iPad takes a few seconds to stop ringing when you answer the call on the iPhone, but it does stop after a few seconds.

If you want to turn this feature off there is a setting in FaceTime preferences of 'iPhone cellular calls' which can be used to turn it off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have an iPad, iPhone, Mac Pro, Macbook Pro and Macbook Air. They ALL were telling me when I got a phone call or text. So what I did to keep my sanity was to turn off the sounds for text on all my devices except the iPhone. I still get the banners which I like.

I disabled FaceTime by not signing in on the Mac Pro - no camera anyway - Mac Air, and iPad. I did try FaceTime on my iPad for a while and found you can disable the sounds in preferences.

On the off chance I might decide to use FaceTime, I will use my iPhone. Now the only one that makes an audible sound is the iPhone - and it has a switch on the side to make it silent.

When I first got my iPhone I had never had this feature. I would go to work and leave my iPad at home. My husband who is still using a flip phone and does not text, would hear my iPad making noises when I got a call or text. He would go nuts trying to figure out what was "wrong" with it.

Lisa

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Ha,ha, there really are some funny aspects to this feature. But I think I have the idea now.
My problem was really re to if my wife is downstairs and answers a FaceTime call on her iPhone her laptop upstairs (next to mine) rings as well. Even after she answers on the iPhone. So I never know if I should answer or if she already has. This results in me shouting, HAVE YOU GOT THAT?
Turning the feature off on one device or the other is not really a legitimate option because we never know which device will be used. However if it does stop eventually after answering I guess it's understandable that there would be a time lag. So long as it's not so long that the call gets missed entirely. I suppose I'd like to know how long I should wait. Maybe I'm asking the impossible.:(
I will ask, if she can just close the laptop when she goes downstairs but I'm not too hopeful about that.:Smirk:

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
You could close it if you are in the room and your wife is not?

Please don't site me in the divorce proceedings...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.