Bootcamp problem on mac

Reaction score
I am a mac user but woud like to install windows 8 or 8.1 wtever on my mac.
I would like to do bootcamp for this.
I found a stduent version of windows 8 and purchased that but it turns out it's an exe file and I couldnt open it on my mac. It seems that I need an iso file but whats that actually? Where can I purchase an iso file of windows 8 legally on internet? I dont have any windows store in my town.
Also I got a problem when I tried bootcamp it said I need a CD or DVD but i dont have one. Can't I just do it by my USB?
Please can sb help me with this I need a windows so badly. Thanks a lot!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
A windows iso can be purchased directly from Microsoft on their site. Before that though to give better advice we need to know which Mac you are using, which version of OS X, and how much memory is installed.

You can find this information by going to the Apple menu in the upper left corner of the screen. Choose "About This Mac" and report the information that appears on the screen.

OP
K
Reaction score
A windows iso can be purchased directly from Microsoft on their site. Before that though to give better advice we need to know which Mac you are using, which version of OS X, and how much memory is installed.

You can find this information by going to the Apple menu in the upper left corner of the screen. Choose "About This Mac" and report the information that appears on the screen.

Tks!

It is a macbook pro 15-inch, mid 2012.
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
OS X 10.9.4

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Karen:

I found a stduent version of windows 8 and purchased that but it turns out it's an exe file and I couldnt open it on my mac. It seems that I need an iso file but whats that actually? Where can I purchase an iso file of windows 8 legally on internet? I dont have any windows store in my town.

You don't need to purchase another copy of Windows 8. Ask a friend that has a Windows computer to burn the Windows 8 exe file to an iso file. Then place the iso file on a USB flash drive and install it that way on your Mac. You'll need to follow the Boot Camp instructions on how to do all that. It is a bit complex when you don't have a disk drive on your Mac but I assure you it can be done and you don't need to purchase another copy of Windows 8.

Reaction score
be far warned you want to purchase a copy of windows 8.1 full version because the windows 8.1 update won't run in bootcamp you need a real 8.1 copy of windows 8

OP
K
Reaction score
be far warned you want to purchase a copy of windows 8.1 full version because the windows 8.1 update won't run in bootcamp you need a real 8.1 copy of windows 8

Would it be safer if i purchase the windows 8 coz it must run in bootcamp?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Would it be safer if i purchase the windows 8 coz it must run in bootcamp?

Why would you need to purchase another copy of Windows 8? Read my reply above again and then if possible, do as I suggested. Your copy of Windows 8 is perfectly OK to use in Boot Camp. The only thing you need to do is burn that exe file to an iso. Very easy to do and anyone with knowledge who uses Windows can do it for you. Again, there is no need to spend any more money buying Windows 8 or 8.1. Once you've installed Windows 8, you can upgrade it for free from Microsoft to 8.1.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

She doesn't need to buy a copy of anything. She already has a full install copy of Windows 8 and once that's installed it can be updated for free to Windows 8.1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.