Bootcamp disk restoration

Reaction score
Heya, I am having this pop-up and I'm consenred I may be formatting and loosing stuff on my current Mac HD.

Is it safe to continue and will I then be given the option to partition and allocate appropriately for windows and mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is it safe to continue and will I then be given the option to partition and allocate appropriately for windows and mac?

No, it's not safe to continue unless you want to lose your entire Windows partition and all the data that's in it. What exactly are you trying to do? The selection you chose is for restoring your hard drive back to one partition - all OS X and removing the Boot Camp partition.

OP
G
Reaction score
No, it's not safe to continue unless you want to lose your entire Windows partition and all the data that's in it. What exactly are you trying to do? The selection you chose is for restoring your hard drive back to one partition - all OS X and removing the Boot Camp partition.

woah, okay so I just wanted to run bootcamp and partition my drives to allow space for windows.
I was expecting to see that pop-up image with the option to create an allogated about of space (in GB) for windows, and the rest for Mac OS. This was just following the simple steps through bootcamp.
Any suggestion?

This is what I had expected to see (image taken from a screenshot of someone else's computer):

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm a little confused at the moment. Bear with me it's late and I haven't run Bootcamp in a while. What exactly are you trying to do create a new Boot Camp partition or enlarge an existing one?

OP
G
Reaction score
create a new bootcamp partition / remove any pre-existing ones I may have created by mistake.

I simply want to run windows on my mac. The image below shows what stage I'm at, and this isn't what I had seen ages ago when I attempted to create a partition.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go ahead and follow through with that. It will restore the entire Macintosh HD back to one partition. After that, reboot and go back to running Boot Camp. Make sure you read all the Boot Camp instructions and be aware that you may have to download drivers from Apple.

It would really help if you told us what Mac you have (year and model) and also which version of OS X you're running.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK since you want to remove an existing Windows/Boot Camp partition you do indeed want to remove that partition go ahead and click restore. Before you do that though, make sure that you have removed any data from the Windows/Boot Camp partition.

OP
G
Reaction score
Go ahead and follow through with that. It will restore the entire Macintosh HD back to one partition. After that, reboot and go back to running Boot Camp. Make sure you read all the Boot Camp instructions and be aware that you may have to download drivers from Apple.

It would really help if you told us what Mac you have (year and model) and also which version of OS X you're running.

OK since you want to remove an existing Windows/Boot Camp partition you do indeed want to remove that partition go ahead and click restore. Before you do that though, make sure that you have removed any data from the Windows/Boot Camp partition.

Thanks for the advice here. So CHSCAG, will restoring the entire Macintosh HD back to one partition remove data that is already existing (as in everything on my mac already)?

@Slydude, I had tried this process of creating a windows partition ages ago and it didn't work the way I had expected it too, so there shouldn't be any data on it, although I was surprised that the possible Windows partition didn't show up as being there. Just made me wonder why in the first place I've been told to "Restore Disk to a Single Partition".

Also:
Late 2013 Macbook Pro 15"
OS X 10.9.4

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Restoring the hard drive to one partition doesn't erase the Mac (OS X) partition.

As for your other question I am not sure where things went wrong. Normally you can "see" the Windows partition even if there is no data on it. The process actually takes a couple of steps so I suppose any one of them could have gone wrong.

BTW After restoring to one partition run disk utility and verify the disk.

OP
G
Reaction score
Restoring the hard drive to one partition doesn't erase the Mac (OS X) partition.

As for your other question I am not sure where things went wrong. Normally you can "see" the Windows partition even if there is no data on it. The process actually takes a couple of steps so I suppose any one of them could have gone wrong.

BTW After restoring to one partition run disk utility and verify the disk.

Awesome, thanks.
How do I verify the disk? Amateur question I feel...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.