Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I realize the OP would prefer to use the terminal to create a bootable USB flash drive, but if one of the readily available and free software options had been used, that drive could have been created many times over in the time spent so far trying to get the terminal approach to work.

Just saying......

True, but 3rd party apps are never needed for this. Using the correct syntax in terminal and an understanding of the volume names this would have been running long before getting to the web to download 3rd party apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
True, but 3rd party apps are never needed for this. Using the correct syntax in terminal and an understanding of the volume names this would have been running long before getting to the web to download 3rd party apps.
The original post was put up about 4.5 hours ago. Downloading DiskmakeX takes 3-4 minutes. Reading the directions, 2 minutes. Executing the command 1 minute. Total of a max of 7 minutes to be running.

Or you can try the Terminal command, run into syntax errors, try to fix, try again, then come here for answers and wait 4.5 hours.

I do use Terminal sometimes, but in this case, if kribnensis12 wants a bootable USB installer, DiskmakerX would have solved the problem over 4 hours earlier.

As I said, I found that createinstallmedia threw up errors every time I tried it. And I very carefully checked the syntax. It just could not find the external drive, despite it being mounted and visible on the Desktop. I tried both the syntax kribnensis12 used and the double quotes method. No difference. createinstallmedia simply would NOT run for me.

DiskmakerX sorted it out.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Enough. The OP has the info they need to get this resolved. If their intention was to do this purely on the command line (while it might scare the most of you), that's what they want. If you can help with them that, great. If not, apps were suggested, no need to debate what the mindset of the OP is.

Thread closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.