Bootable backups

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Hi,

In order to try and protect the information on my MBP, I have Time Machine running together with a Time Capsule and that works like a dream.

Next step is to ensure I can recover quickly from a failing hard disk so I got myself an external 500 GB LACIE disk on FW800 and SuperDuper.
No experience with SuperDuper so far.

I would like to keep 3 generations of bootable backups on this external disk so my question is .... Do I need to create 3 bootable partitions on the external disks or just 1 and during a restore, how can I select the backup I need to restore if more than 1 is present

Any advice will be much apreciated.
Cheers
Marc

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would like to keep 3 generations of bootable backups on this external disk so my question is .... Do I need to create 3 bootable partitions on the external disks or just 1 and during a restore, how can I select the backup I need to restore if more than 1 is present

Any advice will be much apreciated.
Cheers
Marc

SuperDuper will eat up an entire partition for each full backup you make. So, if you want three different generations, you'll need to partition your dedicated SuperDuper external into three partitions. I would name them carefully so as to make them distinguishable at boot time (i.e. Gen1, Gen2, Gen3).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.