Boot fails screen square block fan runs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2Ghz G5 /10.3.9
Hi. This is a G5 quad core. Won't even boot with the boot DVD, but stops with a small square box on the screen. Box is pixelated. Anyone ever see that? Fan cranks up after a minute or two.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My uneducated guess is that perhaps the video card has failed. We have several of our members who have lots of experience with older Macs, hang on until you get a reply from one of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Is it the liquid cooled 2.5GHz model? If so check inside out for leaks at connections and hoses. Does sound like a major problam alas.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2Ghz G5 /10.3.9
Hi Folks:
This might sound funny but I booted fine into a retail 10.5 OSX install DVD! The OEM G5 DVD must not be compatible.. I also have a 2003 version dual G5 which came with the grey DVD, but I guess they are so custom to a specific machine.. The dual has a video card that will not even plug in this.
How rare this must be.. I wonder if I could even get an OEM DVDD for this..
A1117 g5 quad 2.5GHz.
Yea. Looks like a radiator behind the fans. Computer had mismatched RAM in it too, I know is a no-no.. I can hardly believe it is working! Case is bent up from shipping..
Thanks Folks!
Hydro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.