Boot Camp w/ Windows XP 64 bit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
I tried to search on this, but apparently XP and 64 are too short for the search engine. Has anyone run into any problems with installing Windows XP 64 bit edition into Boot Camp? It seems like a great time to try it (you know, actually having 64 bit hardware), but I didn't know if anyone had any caveats or not.

My guess is that it'll be exactly the same as any other XP install, but always good to check before I smoke my OS X partition by accident.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i didnt think the bootcamp drivers were 64bit yet. that would be the roadblock for most i would imagine

?

OP
Thyamine
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Hmmm that's a good point. I suppose it depends on how much of a difference there would be in the drivers. If 32 bit would work or not.

Reaction score
XP Pro 64bit on BootCamp didn't work

Hey all,

Well, I tried to install Windows XP Professional 64bit with SP2 on my Macbook Pro with Boot Camp and all was successful until I tried to install the Windows Mac Drivers created by boot camp. A pop up window stated "Boot Camp requires that your computer is running Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista." Ah well, lesson learned.

Hope this helps. GL.:D

Reaction score
Does this mean that you can't use the 64-bit version of XP on a Mac? This would suck, because I will have to try to get my money back and buy the regular version, or end up with an XP disk I can't use.

Reaction score
Does this mean that you can't use the 64-bit version of XP on a Mac? This would suck, because I will have to try to get my money back and buy the regular version, or end up with an XP disk I can't use.
You can use VMWare Fusion for 64-bit Windows, but no BootCamp. Parallels may support XP x64 as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'll bet this will be worked out with Leopard when Bootcamp is out of beta.

One month (or less) to go!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
Thats what I was going to say, I think more will be possible when Leopard comes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Windows 64 for anything but big corporate networks is not much more than experimental.

If you just use basic out of the box hardware with little or no 3rd party peripherals, from big companies like HP or IBM, you're probably OK. If you want to run just about any other hardware, you're going to be constantly spending time trying to overcome problems.

Microsoft have started making x64 only software now - Exchange 2007 doesn't run on 32 bit machines at all. This is a nightmare for a syadmin, as you cannot possibly run a network exclusively on x64, so you have to have a mixture. Antivirus and backup software (which you will need to buy x64 versons of) is also scarce, and expensive.

I cancelled our rollout of Exchange 2007. It's a good system, but the extra work and cost involved would have simply buried us.

Reaction score
Actually... you can run XP64 under a boot camp install.... the only trouble is that boot camp can not burn 64 bit XP compatible drivers...

You run boot camp as normal, select the formatting and all... then simply run the XP64 install disc...

When it comes to the drivers, you will have to find XP64 drivers independently on line and install each by hand.

The only problematic driver is the video driver.... I have the Nvidia 4500FX... when the install rebooted into XP there was no XP64 compatible driver for this card and the screen came up scrambled.

How we got around this was to copy the XP64 driver from Nvidia onto the root level of the drive and literally figure out the sequence of keys strokes needed to execute a Run command and step thru the driver options... without being able to see anything onscreen. ( we used a partition boot camp install of XP32 on another drive so that we could copy files to and from the XP64 drive... which we formated with the windows only format.)

Once that was done and the driver installer ran... we rebooted and found that XP64 ran perfectly.

Except we had no ethernet connection, no control over the sound card, and could not get the monitor to shut down completely ( screen dark but backlight still on)
We eventually located drivers for the sound and ethernet cards... but for the display- we simply have to re-boot into Mac OS and shut down from there to get the display to power off completely.

One other glitch is that Boot camp will no longer recognize a "selected" boot volume... Because there is not a Boot Camp compatible startup control panel installed on the XP64 drive.... left to itself the system will always boot into XP64.

So- I have to hold down the alt key every time I restart, and select the boot volume from the list.

Reaction score
Except we had no ethernet connection, no control over the sound card, and could not get the monitor to shut down completely ( screen dark but backlight still on)
We eventually located drivers for the sound and ethernet cards... but for the display- we simply have to re-boot into Mac OS and shut down from there to get the display to power off completely.

One other glitch is that Boot camp will no longer recognize a "selected" boot volume... Because there is not a Boot Camp compatible startup control panel installed on the XP64 drive.... left to itself the system will always boot into XP64.

So- I have to hold down the alt key every time I restart, and select the boot volume from the list.

How did you find the driver for the ethernet? I am trying to install x64 but couldn't get the bootcamp disc to run (keeps complaining I do not have SP2 even after I downloaded and installed x64 sp2 from M$.)

BTW, you don't need to use the alt key all the time. Boot into mac and use sys pref to set the startup disk to the mac HD.

Reaction score
sound driver

Actually got XP64 to work on MacPro... but does anyone have ideas about a driver for the sound card???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
The Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide says, "Important: You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2 is required for Windows XP installations). Do not use an upgrade version of Windows and do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2. Use only 32-bit versions of Windows."

I'd say 64 bit isn't in the books unless you can figure out a work-around. Also, do you have 64 bit programs to us after you install?

Good luck, Noel

EDIT, there is a new update to Boot Camp available (permits XP to use SP3). Maybe it also allows 64 bit installs, but I didn't see that mentioned...

EDIT: Here's the url for Boot Camp 2.1: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/Boot-Camp.shtml

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.