Boot Camp - make the partition myself? Or does BC do it?

Reaction score
I fully installed OS X 10.4.9, then realized I didn't set up any partitions to install Boot Camp later. Do I need to? Or will Boot Camp resize partitions for me without losing my Mac data?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Boot Camp will make a partition for you, it's all very well thought out.

You won't lose any data, but it's always a good idea to backup your info before performing a partition.

OP
C
Reaction score
Boot Camp foils my plans.. NOOOOOOO

From the readme:

IMPORTANT: You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2 required for XP installations). Do not use an upgrade version of Windows and do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2. Use only 32-bit versions of Windows.

Nooooo! My copy of XP SP2 is an upgrade disc. :'( :'( Can I somehow trade in my Win2000 and XP upgrade disc to Microsoft to get a full XP copy? Or do I just have to shell out the cash for a copy of XP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
While i'm not sure of the legality, there are only a few files required to make an upgrade disk into a bootable install disk.

google "slipstream XP" and "make XP upgrade - bootable"

The tutorials I've seen have links to the appropriate files. All of the meat of XP is on your disk, just needs a couple of small files to tell it to boot install.

If this is illegal, it is not my intent to tell you it's okay to do.

Brian

OP
C
Reaction score
I wouldn't think it's illegal. I legally own Win2000 and XP. Thanks for the tip though. My WinXP is already bootable, it just stops me looking for files on the Win2000 disc, so I assume there is a way to slipstream those few Win2000 files onto the XP upgrade disc. (i'm familiar with slipstreaming)

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Sure you can use XP Upgrade Edition with Boot Camp. I wrote an article about it on my site awhile back, but the site's down for reconstruction. If I'm remembering right, you need 3 things:

1. Windows XP Upgrade disc & key
2. Previous version of Windows CD (ex. Windows 2000 Pro)
3. USB CD-ROM drive (or Firewire, can't remember if both work or not)

I also can't remember if I put the XP disc in the external or internal drive on the Mac. But it worked. If you don't have an external drive, just pick up a $30 DVD burner off Newegg and slap it into a USB/Firewire case. I think the one I have is from Bytecc. That's all there is to it. Cheaper than buying the full XP disc plus you get a nice external DVD burner! (I'd pick one up with LightScribe just for kicks, they're the same price)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged and moved threads

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! I wonder if putting the Win2000 CD onto a USB flash drive would also work?

Another thing I found on the net: Apparently if you slipstream the Win98 folders Win9X and Drivers onto an XP upgrade CD, it will work. Thing is, I have Win2000. Maybe the same trick would work? (slipstreaming the WINNT and Drivers folders)

Just in case anyone is questioning the legality of this, I saw another discussion on some other web site where a guy phoned a Microsoft tech and asked if it was ok, and the tech said although MS didn't support merging a previous Windows copy onto an XP disc, it WAS perfectly legal to do so as long as the person legally owns both Windows discs (which I do).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Glad you folks are finding the info you need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.