Boot Camp fan speed increase?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro unibody 2.53GHz 8GB DDR3, Intel 160GB SSD, 10.6.2/Windows Vista Business/iPhone 3GS 32GB
Anyone know how to increase the fan speed when running in Boot Camp (Vista)?
I tried RiverTuner but has problems with the new Nvidia driver. I use Fan control when in OSX and works fine. Im playing the new Star Trek online and after about 20min the chassis is hot as ****! I never hear the fan come on so I dont think apple included a fan driver or monitoring driver with the Boot Camp files. Any thoughts would be great.
thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It's been a common reported problem that Windows runs hot when you boot into it natively. Apparently the fans don't go on as often or at full blast. Some of the solutions I've read have been to turn on the fans at close to full blast in Mac and then boot into Windows. I don't know if it will works but it couldn't hurt to try it out and let us know if it works. Maybe some of the others can offer better suggestions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not true. The fans are controlled thermally, doesn't make any difference if you're running in Windows or OS X.

The problem is that Windows and Windows graphical programs drive the CPU harder. Games are notorious for making heat rise and since most folks who use Boot Camp to run Windows, play games, it's not unusual.

Use a notebook stand and take a break from the game every once in awhile to allow things to cool down somewhat.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro unibody 2.53GHz 8GB DDR3, Intel 160GB SSD, 10.6.2/Windows Vista Business/iPhone 3GS 32GB
I thought the fans were controlled thermally too but if that's so why does the fan never come on while in Vista? The Mac is clearly hot so I should hear some fan movement. When in OS X if it heats up just a little the fan kicks in.
Has anyone had any fan movement while in Boot Camp?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EndlessMac you're a genius! I would have never thought of that. It totally works.
I just set the fan speed to max in OSX then boot into Boot Camp and the fan setting stays intact. My Mac now runs as cool in Vista as it does if im running any graphically intense programs in OS X.
Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Has anyone had any fan movement while in Boot Camp?
I'll try to pay attention next time. I don't boot into Windows natively that often but when I do it do notice it runs hotter then usual and I don't play games in Windows. I usually just use Fusion for my Windows needs.

EndlessMac you're a genius! I would have never thought of that. It totally works.
I just set the fan speed to max in OSX then boot into Boot Camp and the fan setting stays intact. My Mac now runs as cool in Vista as it does if im running any graphically intense programs in OS X.
Thanks again!
I'm glad it worked and it will help others with the same problem. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks again!

And when you wear out the bearings on your Fan(s) and they need to be replaced, then what? Not withstanding the noise they make at full speed. :(

I run Windows 7 from a Boot Camp partition and have no difficulty whatsoever with the fans. They operate the same way as when in Snow Leopard. Yes, they'll ramp up when I play DOOM but that's to be expected. I also use a Griffin Elevator notebook stand which helps to keep the machine cool.

I would advise leaving the fans alone and not change the settings prior to booting to Windows. As I stated above, the fans are thermally controlled and should work the same way. Mine do.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank god for three years of AppleCare. The likelyhood of that happening on a Mac is pretty slim. And even if it does it's not a big deal. The reduction in heat and the ability to increase air flow is well worth it. I don’t own a desk so I don’t see a stand in my future. But I do know the value of it burning the **** out of my lap. I’m probably in good company with anyone else on here who games with a MacBook. I’m sure thousands of other MacBook gamers have been looking for this solution as well.
So as it stands this seems to be the only option that actually works. I tried SpeedFan and RiverTuner with no success.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Since you were looking for an actual answer for your question which really wasn't answered to what i'm sure you wanted to hear, I use this on my macbook pro in windows 7x64 ultimate and it works like a charm.

You need to run it from cmd.exe but it works great. sure doesnt have a gui or anything but command line is good enough.

Macfan

PS.

The reason I run this is because if you lets say turn on smc fancontrol in osx and boot into windows it works. until your machine goes into standby or you close the clamshell then it doesn't reactivate. With this program you can control it straight from windows so you don't have the nuissance of having to reboot to macosx to turn the fans up again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.