Boot Camp Can't Partition Disk!

Reaction score
I had a 12GB Windows XP partition, and I deleted it in order to try to install Windows Vista, but when I tried repartitioning the hard drive, it told me that it could not move some of the files. Can anyone help me try to partition my drive?

thanks

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I have 80gb free and it says it cant move files. then when i run the disk utility it give me an error that can only be fixed by booting from the startup disk.

What's going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Have you tried to repair permissions? Go to Disk Utility and look for the option to repair permissions. Restart the computer and then try again.

Also, how did you delete the partition? Through Boot Camp or some other method?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I had a 12GB Windows XP partition, and I deleted it in order to try to install Windows Vista, but when I tried repartitioning the hard drive, it told me that it could not move some of the files. Can anyone help me try to partition my drive?

thanks

Reboot the computer and close down any open programs. Run Disk utility and verify the disk. Close the Disk Utility and hit Command-Q to fully shut the program down. Then attempt to run the Bootcamp setup wizard again.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm having the same problem. I have 80gb free and it says it cant move files. then when i run the disk utility it give me an error that can only be fixed by booting from the startup disk.

What's going on?

Go into System Preferences and Startup Disk. Make sure your Mac OS partition is set as the Startup Disk. Run the Disk Utility and Verify the drive. Then close the Disk Utility, press Command-Q to completely close it and then run through the Bootcamp Assistant again.

Reaction score
Still getting an error on the partition part of the boot camp setup. Not sure what to do .

Reaction score
It says 'the disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved' then is says
'Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again'

I don't want to format my mac just to partition the drive.

Will work if i boot from CD then create my own partition in disk utility and format it as windows dos format?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a feeling Kash hit it on the head. Did you Delete the XP Partition YOURSELF or did you use Bootcamp to remove XP and the Bootcamp partition? If you did it yourself, you messed things up. Try what CWA107 suggested. If that does not work you just might have to backup and reinstall. Never manually delete the Windows partition that Bootcamp makes.

Reaction score
I have this same problem. I tried to startup from the Disk-Utility CD. It says to hold "c" during startup. However it doesn't do anything when i hold "c". It just boots as normal. Am i missing something?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.