Boot camp and what else?

Reaction score
I am looking to set up a windows partition on my macbook to run a few things. I am running Tiger still so I would have to jump to leopard if I wanted boot camp. I remember hearing of some other software out there that would allow windows. What were they and how do they work? Boot camp requires shutting down and booting up in windows. I think the other software I saw required to shutting down? Could you run graphic intensive games/software with these other softwares?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're into playing graphic games Boot Camp is currently the best choice. Since it's going to cost you $$$ for Leopard and Boot Camp is included, why not use it? Rebooting to enter Windows is no big deal.

The other choice is to use virtual software - Parallels or VMware Fusion. Both work well when it comes to running Windows but currently neither is suited for gaming. Both Parallels and Fusion are still developing their software and have stated future support for gaming, 3D, etc. Fusion is currently testing version 2.0 beta.

Trial versions of Parallels and Fusion are available for free and can be tested on your system. Neither requires Leopard, Tiger is fine. The only requirement is an Intel CPU.

Regards.

Reaction score
At present, Fusion and Parallels do not support 3D hardware acceleration. However, on a Macbook, you don't have a separate graphics adapter - you have an integrated graphics chip, so you can't really run most of the high-end games anyway even if you ran Windows natively in Boot Camp. MacBook Pros and iMacs have a separate graphics card, which is what you need for gaming.

For all apps that don't require that kind of hardware, Fusion and Parallels work great.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.