Boom App <DELETE>????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina 5K, 27" ; 3.5GHz i5; late 2014, iPhone 6+, iPad2, iPod60
OK, so I tried the Boom app. It apparently made my sound explode through my speakers but now it seems to have overloaded them.

Anyway, to try to find out if it is the source or the output I tried to quit the app. Well, there is not place I can find to quit it. If I attempt to change to HEADPHONES in Preferences it does not apply and immediately switches back to Boom 2. If I try to delete, the message appears that it cannot be deleted because it is open. But, I cannot find anyplace to close it. Is there a way to inactivate such an animal?

OP
Driller
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you,

OK, well simply moving it to trash does nothing as the warning again comes up that it cannot be removed because it is open.

However, I do have MacKeeper and it said it uninstalled it. I went to Preferences and it was still there and I was unable to navigate from it. So.... I rebooted my Mac and after again going to Preferences, while still there I was able to navigate to the Headphones from which my speakers operate.

Who knows why there is still a footprint.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OP
Driller
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you

I had just read an article reinforcing what you have said. However, I have no idea how I would have got rid of Boom without it as there was not way of "quitting" the app.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Boom 2 is quit by right clicking on the menu bar icon at the top of your screen, the menu that appears amongst its many settings lists quit at the bottom.
First get rid of MacKeeper. A malicious and insidious price of software.

Reaction score
Thrice cursed boom

I have twice had this exact same experience but unfortunately I didn't make the connection until the second time it happened.

I installed boom wanting more volume out of my speakers. After using for a bit, while it makes the upper limits louder the control was dismal so that no matter how I adjusted the computer's volume key and the boom synthesizer the difference between mute and the lowest setting was still quite loud, and massive lag after quitting boom until I had my speakers back. I uninstalled. I subsequently had perpetual problems with volume, the constant mute, visual response to adjusting volume but no corresponding speaker output, massive lag on plugging in speakers, halting video, while the system tries to figure out what is going on. This persisted with my first mac book right up to when it was stolen without me ever being able to find a solution.

I have had a replacement mac book for a while, did boom, same problems, uninstalled, and IMMEDIATELY had the same problem and smacked myself on the forehead as I made the connection. I have been kicking myself ever since and cannot find a solution. All I can find is BOOM admin denying that they could even possibly be responsible for this.

PLEASE!

How can I fix this? I see that in my sound BOOM continues to be an sound option despite being uninstalled. I have a guess that the computer tries to output to uninstalled boom causing all manner of errors and lags but I can find no way to remove boom.

The above link, if it was to solve my problems, is dead.

Thanks so much in advance.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I would be interested in how you uninstalled Boom because there is an uninstaller for the app in Boom Preferences. If for instance you simply trashed the Application then your problems are to be expected. If you allowed boom to enhance sound tracks or music by "Boosting" the file you may have other issues as well.
Here is the list of associated files listed by Clean My Mac 3 to completely Uninstall Boom 2
If you did not remove these files on trashing Boom in the first instance I am not surprised you had issues. There is a free, very handy Utility called App Trap which does a very good job of removing associated files when moving applications to the trash. Some have a surprising amount but almost all have some.

Screen Shot 2015-06-19 at 19.46.23.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It is a HORRIBLE idea to install an app to "get more volume" from your speakers. BAD BAD BAD! Built in speakers are generally very cheap and simply not capable of handling more than what the system was designed to push to them. If you want more "volume", get amplified external speakers and use the volume control on those in conjunction with the volume control on your Mac.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lifeisabeach, hi, although I agree with what you say In principal I do have Boom on my MBP for the occasional movie soundtrack or you tube clip which for whatever reason is so soft as to be inaudible, even at full volume. The rest of the time I keep it switched off. But a laptop is not a stereo and should not be used as one. A good set of Bluetooth headphones is a good option.
Having said all that though I have never had any of the problems our user reports so there is something else going on here.

Reaction score
1. Open Terminal.

2. Type this: sudo kextunload -b com.globaldelight.driver.Boom2Device

3. Enter your password when prompted.

Reaction score
quitting Boom2

What many are not hearing is that the originator says that when he wants to quit Boom2, there does not seem to be a way to do it. It is NOT in the dock, nor is it in the top menu bar when this problem is happening. When you try to double click on the app in the app folder, nothing happens. What one needs to do is to quit all apps that have any kind of sound associated with it including QT, keynote, iTunes, even powerpoint. then restart the computer. Now the 3 circled app shows up again in the menu bar where you can click it, have the app show up, and finally quit it from the app itself.

Reaction score
I "defeated" Boom 3D. I followed the instructions from the company that created Boom and their uninstall app failed to uninstall the app. I tried to close the app but it refused to stay closed. I tried using AppCleaner but it wouldn't work...until I restarted my MBP in Safe Mode. While in Safe Mode, I reopened AppCleaner and located the Boom app. It was no longer protected and not running. AppCleaner uninstalled the app with all the parasitic files that came with it.
A lesson well learned.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, this thread refuses to expire. Originally started back in 2015 by “driller” taken up again by “refuserefuse” three months later with similar issues and now, no criticism to you 7Sierra, added to with a a success story.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.