Bluetooth Connection (not)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
This is not a new topic, I've asked about it before, but perhaps someone can think of and explain a way to transmit music from my '18 Mini (Mojave) to my iPhone 7, and from there to the BT speakers?

The phone is recognised and paired, but the Mini is a dead loss since its replaced logic board (Dec '22), no idea why.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It sounds to me like there might be a problem with the Bluetooth module in the Mini. Otherwise you should are able to send music/audio from the Mini to the speaker thus bypassing the need for the phone.

Here are a couple of ways that I can think ion to approach this issue:

1. Get the Mini checked out to address whatever the Bluetooth issue there is there.
2. Assuming that the Audio/music is housed on the Mini/on an external drive, Get a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the Mini restoring Bluetooth functionality to the Mini. You would want to make sure the dongle both transmits and receives.

Amazon.com : 3.5mm to bluetooth
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0792NSF7M/?tag=macforums0e4-20

I have used a dongle similar to the first one and gotten about two hours at a time on the battery> it could have plugged into a usb port for power and I think that would have worked.

Last edited:
OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Thanks, I think an adaptor may be the only feasible answer meantime.

I posted the following image not long after I encountered the BT problem, it shows the Mini as 'not discoverable', which is odd, as it had been working just fine with the previous logic board. I have no idea why this should occur after repair.

Luckily, recent repair was under warranty, but I'm not sure a repair to BT, should it even be doable, will qualify.

Attachments

• BT.jpg
    BT.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I have to ask: Why the intermediate stop at the iPhone? Why not just pair the BT speakers to the Mini directly?

Not discoverable is simply a state of the BT. You can set BT into discoverable mode through the BT settings in System Preferences. Just turn it on.

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to ask: Why the intermediate stop at the iPhone? Why not just pair the BT speakers to the Mini directly?
I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to get the speakers (JBL) paired to the Mini since its repair in December. Fails every time.

BT is definitely on, it searches, but there is no connection, the JBL is not even featured in the list of BT devices.

The most frustrating and irritating aspect is that other devices pair without a problem, eg. iPhone. That's why I asked if it were possible to route music to the JBL unit via the phone. A workaround.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, since we know that Bluetooth is working on your Mac you shouldn't need the dongles I linked to earlier. That was based on the assumption that the Bluetooth gear on the Mac wasn't working.

Since both devices are pairing effectively something else is the culprit. The logical place to look is the JBL speaker(s). Are those seakers currently paired with anything else such as your phone? If so try breaking the connection with that device before pairing with the Mini. Some devices, including speakers, will only pair with one device at a time.

BTW which JBL speakers are you using?

Edit: Corrected typo

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since both devices are pairing effectively something else is the culprit. The logical place to look is the JBL speaker(s). Are those speakers currently paired with anything else such as your phone?

Yes, see earlier, and now the screenshot of the BT list. iPhone & JBL just love each other!

As I type this I'm listening to Accuradio from iPhone to JBL, yet SysPrefs>BT told me for a while that the phone was NOT connected. There's obviously a direct link between phone and JBL. Phone connection with the Mini18's BT comes and goes. Weird.

What I need to emphasise is that the JBL speaker system used to work perfectly with this Mini18 (M18), but since the logic board was replaced in December '22, and Mojave was reinstalled, this problem has arisen.

There are contradictions. The four items shown are obviously detected by the M18, which indicates to me that BT on the M18 IS discoverable by those devices. So why not the JBL - remember, it used to work.

There's a 5th item, called K99 for reasons best known to itself, it's a small music box with BT and radio. If I switch it on, the music from the phone drops the JBL and transfers to the K99. As you say, only one BT device at a time, but why the K99 'overrules' the JBL is a mystery to me.

Clarification please - is it suggested that I remove ALL BT items from the SysPrefs (I can use a wired USB keyboard/mouse meantime), then try to let them reinstate themselves one-by-one?

The JBL is a 5.1
Mine was bought in NZ. Superb sound quality, I think the speakers are Harmon Kardon.

Attachments

• BTPair.jpg
    BTPair.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you are suggesting about deleting all the devices and re-adding them one-by-one might be worth trying down the road but that wasn't quite what I was thinking.

Here's what I was thinking. Suppose your JBL speaker is paired with your iPhone. Go into Settings on the phone and tell it to forget the JBL. Do that for every device that's connected with the JBL. Now try pairing the JBL with the mini and see what happens.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, I agree with Sly, some devices have a limit on their number of connections. I have a Sony BT speaker that will only accept 3 device connections. If I attempt to pair a 4th it will remove the 1st connection.

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you are suggesting about deleting all the devices and re-adding them one-by-one might be worth trying down the road but that wasn't quite what I was thinking.

Here's what I was thinking. Suppose your JBL speaker is paired with your iPhone. Go into Settings on the phone and tell it to forget the JBL. Do that for every device that's connected with the JBL. Now try pairing the JBL with the mini and see what happens.
Let you, Sly, be the second - I'm the first - to learn that BT on the M18 is once again reconnected to the JBL.

I did both of what you suggested, and removal of ALL devices from M18's BT prefs panel, and most from the iPhone, appears to have done the trick. To say I am chuffed is the understatement of this century!

Thank you to all contributors to this lengthy and complicated connection issue, and hopefully some other M-F member will benefit from it should they too be having problems with BT connection.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to know that things are now working as expected. Your idea of removing every device from the BT preference pane might have been what fixed things. I wasn't thinking of that until I read your post (#7).

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Great news, well picked Slydude👏

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.