Bluetooooth Security!!!

Reaction score
ok well first off i am in a state library. and my friend here sent me a document but it never asked me to accept the transfer and just sent it. i have been into system preferences and clicked on the button to ask for acceptance of the bluetooth transfer so he tried sending another lame document and it never asked me to accept. i am currently sitting here with a bluetooth lightsaber fending off unwanted transfer by switching it off. anyone know how i can make the transfer ask if i want the document or not. it better not be some lame loophole crap or i will smack steve jobs over the head berger style.
spanks in advance
peace out 'a' town

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
Have you tried turning on your Firewall. You can do this in System Preferences>Sharing>Firewall.

Reaction score
Just subscribing to this thread b/c I'd like to know as well... it should have to validate the connection... anyway, hope someone comes in with some input.

Reaction score
ok well first off i am in a state library. and my friend here sent me a document but it never asked me to accept the transfer and just sent it. i have been into system preferences and clicked on the button to ask for acceptance of the bluetooth transfer so he tried sending another lame document and it never asked me to accept.

Hi .:ren:.,

Before I continue I would like to recommend you update the System Software on your MacBook from Apple's website or by using Software Update on your Mac itself. There has been issues where the System Profiler information about whether or not a Bluetooth device requires authentication is misleading.

Selecting "Require pairing for security" in Bluetooth preferences correctly sets the device to require authentication, but in System Profiler the device is labeled with "Requires Authentication: No."

So the Security Update 2005-007 changes System Profiler to accurately reflect the Bluetooth security settings. This issue does not affect systems prior to Mac OS X 10.4.

Now about Bluetooth ...

Bluetooth can be a security weakness so I think it's good to be vigilant and concerned as you are. In Bluetooth preferences there are a few settings which can be enabled/disabled and these are:

Bluetooth Power: This is found in the Settings Tab or Via the pull-down menu accessed from the Bluetooth icon to your far right in the Finder menubar.
Discoverable: Also found in the Settings Tab, this will enable a device to find your Mac but won't stop them from connecting to you if this is disabled.
Bluetooth File Exchange: This is found in the Sharing Tab and it's in this Tab that you can enable/disable File Exchange, File Transfer & PDA - Sync via check boxes found in the left pane.

If you study this left pane you'll see that you can both enable/disable one or all of the above Services and at the same time enable/disable Pairing for any devices that connect to your MacBook. Pairing is recommended for increased security.

So you should have a look at all these settings and configure them accordingly and I'm sure that you'll be able to stop this happening in the future.

Here are some Bluetooth Securiy Tips:

1.) Enable Bluetooth only when you need it,
2.) Keep the device in non-discoverable (hidden) mode,
3.) Use long and difficult to guess PIN key when pairing the device (key such as 1234 is unacceptable),
4.)Reject all unexpected pairing requests,
5.)Check list of paired devices from time to time to ensure there are no unknown devices on the list.

I hope this helps you solve the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.