Blogging Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
Who's and why who's blog site do you use?

New to this and just did my first one. Used Blogspot.

What I didn't like was fighting with the layout... Just didn't want to stay where I put it.

What I'd really like, if possible, is to build it in Pages and transfer to a blog site (with pictures et all). That I couldn't seem to do (or yet to learn how).

Suggests, comments, How to's, all welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I find Wordpress user friendly and like the format. I don't know whether it will allow what you suggest - although you can write in Pages then copy and paste.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
I find Wordpress user friendly and like the format. I don't know whether it will allow what you suggest - although you can write in Pages then copy and paste.

Yes, I was able to copy/paste not it, but the pictures have to be added from the site. Was hoping it all could be transferred over..

Maybe a 3rd party app is in order.

Now, on the pictures issue; Why does iCloud allow you to copy a url to the picture and paste it into a blog/forum site?
Or does it and I haven't figured ut how yet??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
I hate WordPress for what I've tried to put on line. I also don't like the fact that if you run your own site, you have to constantly update the WP version. It's like the "Microsoft Windows" of blogging software - very popular, and a huge target for hackers. You need to stay current or your site WILL get taken down.

I end up going much deeper into the programming end, creating my own theme, and using ModX as a CMS to control the content of the various pages.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There are two things to consider..one is either going hosted or hosting your own solution. A lot of options only are hosted, but things like Wordpress give you both options. Wordpress.com is their hosted solution while you can run Wordpress on your site. The latter means that you have total control and are required to be vigilant about your site. The former hands over those aspects to the people managing the entire service but comes with restrictions that you might want to read up on..

The other big name in this space is Squarespace that gives you access to brilliant themes and a streamlined content creation process.

For all of these services, you should create the content directly on the site and not do it in a separate application and copy & paste, you will always end up having placement/formatting issues that will bog you down. All of these services offer WYSIWYG editors that show you what the final content is going to be like. Most of them also have plugins that you can add on top of these editors for fancy things that aren't part of the normal/default editor..

The final thing to look at is pricing. Wordpress.com offers free sites off their domain name to get started, using custom domain names requires purchasing some level of service. Squarespace is paid from the get go since you are on your own domain from the beginning..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I hate WordPress for what I've tried to put on line. I also don't like the fact that if you run your own site, you have to constantly update the WP version. It's like the "Microsoft Windows" of blogging software - very popular, and a huge target for hackers. You need to stay current or your site WILL get taken down.

I end up going much deeper into the programming end, creating my own theme, and using ModX as a CMS to control the content of the various pages.

Never had an issue in five years' use.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
Thank you both for your opinions and understand your points.

I've been running on Facebook doing sort of a blog of different travels.Of course the issue being it's basically gone after you do it. I have an old Wordpress site and do like the site (one of the free ones) yet rarely use it. It just never took off.

I'm now trying blogspot, yet the editor is, well how to put this, twitchy.. Move pictures around to format text and everything changes. Then just move the cursor wrong, and yes it changes.
Really need a better site.

Squarespace I hadn't looked at. I shall.
Knowing sooner or later I will end up on a pay site. There are reasons to do so. I get that.

Shame none of these allow me building in Pages and just pasting what I created. Pages does a very good job of it.
I hoped there is a way to embed the pictures in Pages so it could be done.
This whole uploading to another site (when we all probably have them in iCloud) is killing me.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Try creating a document in Pages (make it look great) and then try pulling that into Word or OpenOffice and hilarity will ensue. You might ask why, well how Pages represents your formatting/data/content is different than what Word or OpenOffice use.

Now when it comes to websites, the common denominator is HTML and CSS. At the end of the day, everything you do must be represented using these two things to get the right placement and so on. Blogspot (Google Blogger) had its heyday a LONG time ago and frankly isn't Google's focus on revenue generation. Wordpress.com and Squarespace on the other hand created these sites and their tools as the only thing they focus on and that will show.

I've used Wordpress in the past and the WYSIWYG editor is quite good, but there are a handful of plugins that take that to the next level..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never had an issue in five years' use.

As I mentioned, "for what I've tried to put on line." Clearly, it's popular for a reason, but it just doesn't work -for me-. If you use one of the hosted versions of it, your issues from a security standpoint are likely reduced quite a bit. If you run the software on your own hosted domain, it's tougher to keep it locked down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you both for your opinions and understand your points.

I've been running on Facebook doing sort of a blog of different travels.Of course the issue being it's basically gone after you do it. I have an old Wordpress site and do like the site (one of the free ones) yet rarely use it. It just never took off.

I'm now trying blogspot, yet the editor is, well how to put this, twitchy.. Move pictures around to format text and everything changes. Then just move the cursor wrong, and yes it changes.
Really need a better site.

Squarespace I hadn't looked at. I shall.
Knowing sooner or later I will end up on a pay site. There are reasons to do so. I get that.

Shame none of these allow me building in Pages and just pasting what I created. Pages does a very good job of it.
I hoped there is a way to embed the pictures in Pages so it could be done.
This whole uploading to another site (when we all probably have them in iCloud) is killing me.

RazorEdge gives you some really good information on the formatting aspect. Pages formats one way, OpenOffice.org another, Word uses something subtly different... In the end, putting it on line means your formatting comes down to A) HTML/CSS and B) the specific browser that's viewing it. You can always copy/paste from a word processor in terms of the raw content. But, the formatting is always controlled by the HTML tags and such.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
You folks are giving some great info here.
I have yet a lot to learn!

Reaction score
WordPress is the best platform because it has great themes and best plugins which make you able to do many things also WordPress websites index more frequently than other blogging platforms websites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Processor : 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 Memory : 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Graphics : Intel Iris 1536 MB Storage

I lolled at this while WordPress is great the updates are annoying, very much like windows 10 you are spot on there. lok past that however and i do believe you have a blogging system that is almost unrivalled in blogging and can cover many other areas. Yes while there are things like blogger and other platforms "you dont have to manage" ask yourself or rather the manners of those communities how much traffic they get compared to a traditional blog website. I have yet to see a blogger, wix or whatever come up on a search result.

I think to have a successful blog, you need to be a great writer, have really great material and, or have somebody who manages the website if you do not do it yourself. Biggest thing that can excuse you for being weak in any of the other three areas .....The platform becomes irrelevant when you consider where you are sharing your material and how you promote it... that alone can make or break you.

Ps Im not a WordPress fanboy by any mean i know it has flaws, as most things do.

Reaction score
Best and Free Blog posting site:-
WordPress
Blogger
Weebly
Tumblr
Wix

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Well, at least a year old plus thread got updated a bit I guess…

- Patrick
======

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.