Blog Article 8-17-21: Do You Have A Backup - #4: A Small Interlude

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
personally I was thinking of the Intel machines, the silicon models are a horse of a different colour but theoretically I reason it should be possible but I have a lot to learn about SoC and the inbuilt security.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini M1 3 monitors
The Mx systems will NOT boot if the internal storage has a failure.
OK, lots of words so I'll stop there.

Thank you, Jake, for that excellent explanation! You really know the bits behind the bytes!

And while people can't boot a backup with a failed SSD, they might have their math notes on the cloud as well, so they can use their phone or iPad until the repair gets done. ☁📲

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I practicle terms I wondered if I was to install Monterey on my wife's 2018 MBP and ran into the USB hub problems some are having could I boot from a USB thumb drive Big Sur installer, erase the HD, reinstall Big Sur and restore her Data from a Clone of Big Sur? Sorry that's a huge sentance. Probably a huge question too. I was not even sure if I could create a bootable installer of BS on a thumb drive until tonight and yes, I tested it and it appears to be bootable. Food for thought huh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks Jake for your excellent and thorough explanations of the M-series issues - just getting back into the forum after waiting for iOS/iPadOS 15.1 releases to upgrade my iDevices - with that done, I now need to think about my aging Mac laptops (early 2013 MBPro & 2015 MBAir); our Intel SSD iMac is fairly new (2019) but is on Catalina - waiting for some Monterey updates to be released; Apple has really shifted their paradigm in the last few years creating much confusion, at least in my mind. Thanks again and looking forward to more sage advice in the future! Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple has really shifted their paradigm in the last few years creating much confusion, at least in my mind. Thanks again and looking forward to more sage advice in the future! Dave

Not just you Dave, but even an old head like myself who has been doing this for years on end. Thanks to Jake for his analytical approach and understanding. It really helps.

I'm waiting to see what Apple does next year with regard to the larger format iMac. Lots of rumors floating around as usual but it seems Apple is on track to change everything over from Intel to their own Silicon.

I still have a favorite program that needs Windows and that gives food for thought. I'm currently running it with CrossOver. We shall see. :unsure: 🤠

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Not just you Dave, but even an old head like myself who has been doing this for years on end. Thanks to Jake for his analytical approach and understanding. It really helps.

I'm waiting to see what Apple does next year with regard to the larger format iMac. Lots of rumors floating around as usual but it seems Apple is on track to change everything over from Intel to their own Silicon.

I still have a favorite program that needs Windows and that gives food for thought. I'm currently running it with CrossOver. We shall see. :unsure: 🤠

Hi Charlie - I'm currently reading Glenn Fleishman's book below (v. 1.2, released a week ago) - usually enjoy his writing but he's on the topic of 'backing up & cloning' which I'm understanding but I just cannot see someone not that interested in the 'technology' wanting to mess w/ rather complicated suggestions - I'm contemplating buying a M-series laptop at the moment but w/ my other two working perfectly fine and meeting my needs, is it wise for me? And should I upgrade my MBAir to Monterey since it's 'on the fence'? Well, I shall read on to better understand Apple silicon but may just wait to see what develops in the near future? Thanks for the comments - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 2.16.39 PM.png

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
There is another scenario though. What if one installs Monterey and like we often see on this forum decide that for some reason they must revert to the previous macOS? Would it be possible to boot from an earlier bootable installer or bootable clone to erase the internal drive and reinstall the previous macOS along with the Data volume in the case of a bootable clone?
Rod, that is definitely possible. You would have to erase and reformat the internal, but you could boot from the external as long as the internal is still functioning. You'd have to change the boot drive in either System Preferences of following the other process I mentioned, but it should work.

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Thank you, Jake, for that excellent explanation! You really know the bits behind the bytes!
I have to give credit to Howard Oakley at The Eclectic Light Company . I have spent a lot of hours reading his very detailed analysis of how TM works and what are the internals of the Mx systems. I can't say I follow every thought, he gets into incredible details, but I can follow the big picture. He has probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about the subject, but it's been fun to learn. (I read his art and literature articles as well. It is "eclectic" after all!)

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a lot to digest but in my mind, I simplified it down to this, partly for the purposes of explaining it to my wife but I realise that lots of users probably need a bit of reassurance. I think I’ve hit all the important points;

1. We hope/think there is about as much chance of the SoC system failing in the M series as the CPU in an Intel Mac. In both cases a bootable clone would be of no help.

2. The T2 chip poses another problem in later Intel Macs which by default prevents boot from an external drive unless the settings in the Boot Management Utility are changed in advance, thus lowering security of the System. Again, a bootable clone would be no help.

3. If the OS becomes damaged/corrupted in either the M1, M1x or Intel device it can still be restored/reinstalled from the Restore "partition" in much the same way for both.

4. Restoration of personal files and apps after repairs, are performed in the same way for the M1, M1x or Intel device using Migration Assistant from a clone (data), Time Machine B/U or EHD. Again, no need for a bootable clone.

This all leads us to one pertinent conclusion; a bootable clone will be unnecessary to restore future macs and of limited value for more current Intel models with a T2 chip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
@Rod,

I don't have a definitive answer to your excellent question - but from my reading of articles from various sources, the impression I got was, going back to a previous version is becoming extremely difficult and may be near impossible with the M1/X models.
Just like Apple's iDevices.

Reaction score
Thanks, Charlie. The situation is going to get even more complex with Monterey. Anybody contemplating upgrading to Monterey needs to plan NOW for the safety of a rollback to Big Sur. Once Monterey is installed, going back to BS is going to be very challenging. And if folks are thinking a clone will solve that for them, they are going to be very disappointed. Have a read of this for some background: Retaining access to Big Sur when upgrading your M1 Mac to Monterey
I did it, once. Hope I do not need to do it again. The steps to accomplish it include cloning the NVMe to the internal SSD, then using that as a startup. Next erasing the NVMe and installing Big Sur, changing that to startup, then erasing the internal SSD. You cannot use the Monterey startup drive to install Big Sur you need a USB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.