Blasphemy

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with the notion of using Windows for an HTPC. I personally have have a Windows box hooked up to my TV as an HTPC. The Windows Media Center interface on Windows 7 is fantastic, Front Row simply doesn't compare.

Agreed completely.

However, I completely disagree about Office 2007. I personally think it's great, as well as Office 2008 for the Mac. I really like the Ribbon interface, it's helped me use more Office features than I ever have before.

There are others here that love the newer Office. I believe Schweb is one who does. I have used nothing but 2003 and before. I might have to check it out sometime at the Apple Store.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have 2003 for OSX and the for the little I need true office for, it's fine.
I think you mean 2004 my good man.

I have to agree with Kash about Office 2008. It's stable, fast and has some really great features. It also integrates better with OS X than OOo in my experience. My only gripe is that it's slow to open up but once open, it's fairly fast.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I agree with the notion of using Windows for an HTPC. I personally have have a Windows box hooked up to my TV as an HTPC. The Windows Media Center interface on Windows 7 is fantastic, Front Row simply doesn't compare.

However, I completely disagree about Office 2007. I personally think it's great, as well as Office 2008 for the Mac. I really like the Ribbon interface, it's helped me use more Office features than I ever have before.

Well, at the risk of further derailing this thread, I have to quantify my statement by telling you that I am a recent Office 2007 convert at work. I am actually testing it in our environment in preparation for a mass roll-out.

I see very little logic in the way functions and buttons are grouped in the ribbon interface. Buttons that were easy to find and readily accessible in 2003 are now obscured or buried in other ribbons. I have to constantly dig to find anything I want, or consult help.

Let me give you an example - the default light blue theme is atrocious to my eyes. It doesn't gel at all with the rest of the default Windows XP theme and it was hard for me to discern active windows from inactive ones, due to the fact that foreground windows had a slightly lighter tint than background windows. So, I set about changing the theme.

At the time, the only Office app I had running was Outlook. After digging around a bit, I had to consult help (as usual). This lead me to the following steps:

1. Open up a NEW MESSAGE (can't do it from the main Outlook window, for god knows what reason).
2. Click the Office circle button (huh?)
3. In the bottom right-corner, away from all other elements of that menu, click on another button (can't remember the arbitrary name of that button).
4. This puts you in global Office options, and under the General tab, you can change the theme.

Now, if this isn't completely counter-intuitive, I don't know what is.

Microsoft had their critics for the way the Office UI was arranged prior to 2007, and I understand that this was one way to address them. But in Corporate America, users have grown accustomed to that UI over more than a decade. To completely redefine the UI, without any simple means to change it back, is ludicrous. Simple functions in Excel that would take a single button click, now take scouring through ribbons that are redundantly classified is a big problem. I understand that all new things take some getting used to, but in my opinion, the best judge of effective UI design is whether it is intuitive enough that one doesn't have to have training classes just to keep up with a product that they've used for decades.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I understand that all new things take some getting used to, but in my opinion, the best judge of effective UI design is whether it is intuitive enough that one doesn't have to have training classes just to keep up with a product that they've used for decades.
True, but I'm sure that some people thought a mouse was counter-intuitive with the advent of user UIs when typing commands at a command prompt seemed much more logical. ;) I'm not using this a justification for the specific changes MS made, just more of an observation about the evolution of design.

Also, good luck with the testing and roll-out. When I worked IT last summer, it was a fairly arduous process. Good luck with it. ;)

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
Wow this topic went all over hahaha. Well I installed my mouse yesterday and it works pretty good. Im still just playn around with my mac getting used to it.
Office 2007 isnt all bad. It really just takes awhile to get used to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Office '07 is alright, but I still prefer openoffice/neo office. Personally I do not allow one product define who I am so I see no blasphemy is using microsoft stuff with apple products. Heh the majority of my time spent on my mac these days is either on VMware(bootcamp) or VNC to my pc in my room, so I can access visual studio and my other little goodies for C++. I'm thinking about setting up a small FTP *nix server so I can remove the VNC and just stick with bootcamp and save everything onto the ftp server so I can access it through the whole house and don't have to worry about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.