Black X on battery icon. Tried everything!!

Reaction score
Hi I need help, stat.
Currently using a Macbook early 2008 model running OS X 10.6.8.
I have got the X on the battery symbol, it says no battery is in my laptop.
I just bought a new battery and it still says it, when pressing the button on the battery the lights come up green so I know it works.
I've tried SMC, PRAM reboots. Coconut Battery says N/A. I have cleaned the battery and the spot where it is inserted.
I bought this laptop second hand and I knew there was this problem, I can run it just off the power cord but i'm sick of it and want to try and fix the battery issue.
I am already thinking of purchasing an entirely new laptop but I would like to fix this problem so I have a working laptop for awhile and so I can re-sell it to someone else.
Here is what system profiler says:Battery Information:

Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 0
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 0
Health Information:
Cycle count: 0
Battery Installed: No
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 0

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Automatic Restart On Power Loss: No
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake On LAN: No
Current Power Source: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 2
Wake On AC Change: No
Wake On Clamshell Open: Yes
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
Reduce Brightness: Yes

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
ID: 0x0100
Wattage (W): 60
Revision: 0x0000
Family: 0x00ba
Serial Number: 0x0056c554
Charging: No

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming your MagSafe Charger Adapter is OK, the problem may be the input DC power board to the logic board. And it may be the logic board itself which would be an expensive repair. If you don't have the skills to trouble shoot it yourself, take it to someone who is familiar with repairing Apple products. An Apple Store or authorized Apple service repair center will not work on an older machine like yours which they consider vintage.

OP
L
Reaction score
Just as I thought. Fixing that logic board is the only thing I didn't try because I don't know how or do I really have the cash to get someone to fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Your question will be is it really worth spending money on a soon to be eight year old computer?

OP
L
Reaction score
Exactly. I only want to fix it as I want to sell it off cheap once I get a new one. By the sounds of it fixing the logic board is expensive so by the looks of it I'll sell it as is.

C

chas_m

IF the problem is the DC input board, then that is worth doing for that machine.

If it's the logic board or pretty much anything else, it is definitely NOT worth doing.

The problem is that there's only one way to find out -- and that's to hire someone to replace the DC input board (or do it yourself if you are able), and see if that fixes it.

If it does, great! You can sell it with the new battery for much more than if it doesn't charge.

If it doesn't, don't spend any more money on it. Sell it for parts.

Either way, it's nearly eight years old now. Time to move on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.