Big Sur bootable usb error

Reaction score
Hi there. I tried creating a bootable usb big sur installer but i keep getting an error at the end. Not sure if the installer is causing the issue or my mac hardware. I downloaded Big Sur installer at apple store on 3 separate occassions, all 3 installers have the same result when creating a bootable usb. As you know there were issues on the upgrade/update since the Big Sur rollout 2 days ago. I am using a mac pro 2017 model with latest catalina update. Look forward for some help. Thank you

terminal below:

Last login: Sun Nov 15 06:30:27 on console

macintosh@Nelsons-MacBook-Pro ~ % sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur

Password:

Ready to start.

To continue we need to erase the volume at /Volumes/Install macOS Big Sur.

If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: y

Erasing disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 100%

Copying to disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 40%... 50%... 60%... 70%... 80%... 90%... 100%

Making disk bootable...

2020-11-15 08:16:48.022 createinstallmedia[1376:26128] There was an error parsing the Info.plist for the bundle at URL <0x7fb419426f40>: NSCocoaErrorDomain - 3840

Couldn't mount dmg /Volumes/Install macOS Big Sur/Install macOS Big Sur.app/Contents/SharedSupport/SharedSupport.dmg (error code 110)Couldn't find InstallInfo.plist

The bless of the installer disk failed.

Reaction score
Hi there. I tried creating a bootable usb big sur installer but i keep getting an error at the end. Not sure if the installer is causing the issue or my mac hardware. I downloaded Big Sur installer at apple store on 3 separate occassions, all 3 installers have the same result when creating a bootable usb. As you know there were issues on the upgrade/update since the Big Sur rollout 2 days ago. I am using a mac pro 2017 model with latest catalina update. Look forward for some help. Thank you

terminal below:

Last login: Sun Nov 15 06:30:27 on console

macintosh@Nelsons-MacBook-Pro ~ % sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur

Password:

Ready to start.

To continue we need to erase the volume at /Volumes/Install macOS Big Sur.

If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: y

Erasing disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 100%

Copying to disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 40%... 50%... 60%... 70%... 80%... 90%... 100%

Making disk bootable...

2020-11-15 08:16:48.022 createinstallmedia[1376:26128] There was an error parsing the Info.plist for the bundle at URL <0x7fb419426f40>: NSCocoaErrorDomain - 3840

Couldn't mount dmg /Volumes/Install macOS Big Sur/Install macOS Big Sur.app/Contents/SharedSupport/SharedSupport.dmg (error code 110)Couldn't find InstallInfo.plist

The bless of the installer disk failed.
Hi,,, I’m fairly sure I just read that on Big Sur doesn’t allow you to do that. Don’t ask me where I saw it,, but I did. I was actually trying to downgrade from Big Sur to Catalina, and while in that process discovered that fact. So, somehow perhaps you can do a search and verify what I am saying. I was having big problems with Big Sur, and even myself with a lot of experience can’t track down my problems, whether it is software or even hardware (external monitor) causing the problems.Actually I did to a bootable installer of Catalina,, hopefully that indeed it completed correctly, because i will be using it shortly. What I saw that it couldn’t do a Big Sur bootable installer, but seemed that I could do one of an OS before Big Sur.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi,,, I’m fairly sure I just read that on Big Sur doesn’t allow you to do that. Don’t ask me where I saw it,, but I did.

Well, Macworld Magazine apparently doesn't agee:

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi,,, I’m fairly sure I just read that on Big Sur doesn’t allow you to do that. Don’t ask me where I saw it,, but I did. I was actually trying to downgrade from Big Sur to Catalina, and while in that process discovered that fact. So, somehow perhaps you can do a search and verify what I am saying. I was having big problems with Big Sur, and even myself with a lot of experience can’t track down my problems, whether it is software or even hardware (external monitor) causing the problems.Actually I did to a bootable installer of Catalina,, hopefully that indeed it completed correctly, because i will be using it shortly. What I saw that it couldn’t do a Big Sur bootable installer, but seemed that I could do one of an OS before Big Sur.

I was able to create a bootable stick for Big Sur. So it’s not true that it doesn’t allow. All along all the installers I downloaded are working. The issue was with the software on my mac pro. I was using a mac pro 2017 on catalina which kept on getting errors but when i switched to a mac pro 2019 on catalina also, I was finally able to create a bootable Big Sur installer which I used to update my mac pro 2017 to test the installer. I then used my mac pro 2017 on Big Sur to create a bootable stock and was able to successfully create one also. So this was not a hardware issue otherwise i wont be able to create a bootable stick using mac pro 2017 on Big Sur

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
On my mid-2015 15" MPBr I was able to create a bootable installer, then boot from it and install Big Sur to an external drive that then booted just fine. I don't know what the issue was with @sonb, but that is how it worked for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.