Big audio BUG on Mac.

Reaction score
Hi. I use Sibelius, Band in a Box, Logic Express and Garage Band on my iMac. I input MIDI data through an ES 88 M-Audio key station. That's about it. I also use an M-Audio Fast Track interface, but that's not MIDI and I think my problem is MIDI related. Here's what happens. (It's been going on for a few months, never encountered that problem before with the same hard and soft-ware and I obviously have NO clue as to what started the whole thing.).
The PITCH of the music I play (recorded or live) changes. I mean, it will change before or during performance and /or playback, without warning, and remain so until I restart the whole setup. And sometimes even that won't put it back to how it should be. I haven't been able to put in a decent work session in months due to this *uber-annoying problem and I'm getting quite desperate. This morning, the pitch was up a whole tone. Sometimes, it's more, or less, or just a mess. I can't go on like this. Please help if you can.
I'm not much of a midi expert. I only use my Keystation as an input device and generally do not touch the midi settings in ANY software. PLEASE HELP.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not familiar with the hardware you're using, but all I can suggest is to look for updated drivers.

Also... you're asking for help without providing any information about your system. Which Mac do you have, year and model. What version of macOS are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What changed back in April, when you first posted about the issue? Generally, software doesn't change by itself, so if it was working pre-April, then started acting up, what changed? Software update, hardware change, equipment change, cable change, what? Something is different now than it was when it didn't have the problem. So, what do you have now, as @chscag asked, and what did you have BEFORE the issue started?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 5.1 3.1 2.1 iMacs,Minis,Lampshade,G4,G3 desktops ColorClassic (PPC),etc
I'll repeat what I said when you originally posted this.

"Maybe something changing the sample rate???
(Project settings-audio)"

Are the instruments audio files or are they software instruments?
Does it do it with nothing connected?
Have you checked the sample rate when it is normal and when it happens.
Does it happen with all applications or just one.
Are you synching via SPDIF?

If someone suggests something to look at, most people here will usually reply with a "yes or no" kind of response so we can ignore that path and help you move forward.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi. I use Sibelius, Band in a Box, Logic Express and Garage Band on my iMac. I input MIDI data through an ES 88 M-Audio key station. That's about it. I also use an M-Audio Fast Track interface, but that's not MIDI and I think my problem is MIDI related. Here's what happens. (It's been going on for a few months, never encountered that problem before with the same hard and soft-ware and I obviously have NO clue as to what started the whole thing.).
The PITCH of the music I play (recorded or live) changes. I mean, it will change before or during performance and /or playback, without warning, and remain so until I restart the whole setup. And sometimes even that won't put it back to how it should be. I haven't been able to put in a decent work session in months due to this *uber-annoying problem and I'm getting quite desperate. This morning, the pitch was up a whole tone. Sometimes, it's more, or less, or just a mess. I can't go on like this. Please help if you can.
I'm not much of a midi expert. I only use my Keystation as an input device and generally do not touch the midi settings in ANY software. PLEASE HELP.
Do you use an external midi controller? (like a midi keyboard). I had trouble like this too,it was the pitch bend of the keyboard that was broken.It was sending pitch up msg to my DAW all the time,even when not touching the pitchbend..It could be one of your knobs on your controller keyboard is broken and is sending CC’s msg’s do your DAW..You can check in Logic the incoming midi data.
Worth to check?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 5.1 3.1 2.1 iMacs,Minis,Lampshade,G4,G3 desktops ColorClassic (PPC),etc
Good call @TimWellens
He could check that also by answering my second question. It seems though, that he is MIA again ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
HEy, SORRY, SORRY, SORRY! I was drowning in some other project unrelated to music, so I totally skipped the issue for a while. I guess that's what MIA means...
OK, I DO use a midi keyboard indeed, and I've been suspecting that the problem lies there, like a broken pitchblende control or something. The keyboard is actually pretty worn out and misses a few notes here and there, or does strange things on certain others. Could be that. I'm going to work on this.
On the other hand, my Mac has been acting up pretty bad lately, especially after it came back from the Mac dealer here (I'm in Santo Domingo, DR). I have three applications files in my finder and only one of them can be used, the other two just don't work. They open up and then crash. Also, the Finder crashes from time to time and offers to send a report, I can hardly access some system preferences at times, etc. etc. Not to mention the magic spinning wheel of death which appears WAY too often and taxes my patience to no end. Than you for your suggestions and your help. How do I check the incoming MIDI signal in Logic ? (could be a stupid/lazy question).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.