Best way to create and boot Windows from external drive

Reaction score
Hello all, after scouring the internet I haven't found much info that is up-to-date on this topic. I'm looking for the best way to create an eternal drive with Windows on it, and then boot from that drive. I have an iMac 2020 with an intel processor running Ventura, but with only a 500GB internal SSD. I really don't want to take up any of its memory with a Windows partition. I have a 2TB USB 3.2 gen 2 SSD, so I'd much rather use that. I know about parallels, but I'd love to figure out how to do it another way, if it's still possible.

I've read that bootcamp works, but only to install it on the internal drive. I then read about a workaround (to trick bootcamp into thinking that the external drive is the internal one) but it's old info; people who have recently tried that workaround have had problems with it.

I tried to use Etcher on my iMac to do this, but ran into issues. I've heard it's possible through Rufus (if I have access to a Windows machine...which I have).

Has anyone had success with any of the methods I mentioned or, perhaps, a different method? Mac newbies everywhere will thank you... and create images of you for their worship....

Thanks!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2013 16gbRam 500gb SSD Drive
I used this site
worked for me ok, however I now have a 500gb ssd internal drive and installed windows 10 on that with no problem

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.