Best upgrade for my older iMac

Reaction score
Hi, new to this site. I have an iMac (all white) from 2006 with the following specs: iMac5,1 ; 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; L2 Cache 4 MB ; Storage capacity 319.73 GB, available 228.39 GB. Currently running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Just ordered 4 GB memory from OWC, will install once received. I understand my iMac's capacity is 3GB, but also read that going with two 2GB drives is better than a 2GB and 1GB, and might actually give a little more than 3GB.

Once I do this (hopefully successfully) I would be interested in upgrading the OS. Given my limitations, should I go to Lion, Mountain Lion, or even Yosemite? I saw where Yosemite requires 2 GB, so I'll have that - but guess I'm looking for the best combination of newer OS / performance given my limited memory.

I don't run too much on my computer, basically light word processing and internet - not much streaming / downloading right now, although streaming may increase at some point. Thanks a lot for any suggestions !

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi, new to this site. I have an iMac (all white) from 2006 with the following specs: iMac5,1 ; 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; L2 Cache 4 MB ; Storage capacity 319.73 GB, available 228.39 GB. Currently running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Just ordered 4 GB memory from OWC, will install once received. I understand my iMac's capacity is 3GB, but also read that going with two 2GB drives is better than a 2GB and 1GB, and might actually give a little more than 3GB.

Ram will be your best upgrade!:)

Once I do this (hopefully successfully) I would be interested in upgrading the OS. Given my limitations, should I go to Lion, Mountain Lion, or even Yosemite? I saw where Yosemite requires 2 GB, so I'll have that - but guess I'm looking for the best combination of newer OS / performance given my limited memory.

This part is easy. This computer cannot be upgraded past OS 10.7.5 (Lion).:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't see Lion in the App Store - just Yosemite. Is there still a way to install Lion ? I assume it's at a cost, unlike Yosemite. Do you think it's worth it, or am I better off running Snow Leopard with the RAM upgrade? (At some point will splurge for newer iMac, but for now just trying to improve as much as possible)

Also - Yosemite does say that you can upgrade from 10.6.8. I assume there's something about my old white PC that would prevent upgrading even with sufficient RAM ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks. I don't see Lion in the App Store - just Yosemite. Is there still a way to install Lion ? I assume it's at a cost, unlike Yosemite. Do you think it's worth it, or am I better off running Snow Leopard with the RAM upgrade?

Here is the link to Lion:

OS X Lion (10.7) - Apple Store (U.S.)

The biggest reasons to install Lion are:

- compatibility with newer app versions (when you need it)
- compatibility with newer hardware items (when you need it)
- Security Updates (you no longer get these with OS 10.6.x)

Also - Yosemite does say that you can upgrade from 10.6.8. I assume there's something about my old white PC that would prevent upgrading even with sufficient RAM ?

Already answered this above. Yes…updating to Yosemite from 10.6.8 is possible…ON OTHER COMPUTER MODELS!

You cannot upgrade the OS on this computer past 10.7.5. So no need to even ask, think, or wonder about Yosemite. Yosemite is OS 10.10…WAYYYYY past Lion!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Because Lion was quickly "mended" with the release of Mountain Lion, I'd stick with Snow Leopard rather than experience the Lion headaches.

Reaction score
Yes and don't use sixty four on thirty two to install maverick mountain lion or yosemite the machine can't handle it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.