Best 'Undelete' Software - Files from Trash

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hope you're keeping well.

Very quick one. Like everyone I have a lot of junk on my Desktop - which I then drag into a New Folder on the Desktop - Called something like 'SORT OUT'

I think I may have accidentally dragged into my Trash. And then when I ran CleanMyMac a few days back it would have been deleted.

I'm not sure if I did do this, but what I would love to do is run some software to see if I can get a list of files that have been deleted from Trash in the last 7 days. If possible. What do people recommend please?

I've tried Disk Drill so far.

Also another question - how do I find my AFPS password?!

Many thanks all

Gavin

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Please do a quick search for CleanByMac on this forum and other places and you will learn that it's very bad software that you should promptly remove.

Second, once you delete stuff from the trash, it is usually gone as your data continues to change.

If you do delete something by mistake, and then immediately stop and run a data recovery tool, it might have a chance of being able to find the recently deleted files and recovering them, but the longer the time is, the less likely you'll get the files back in a useable manner.

AFPS? What is that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What about your backup? Time Machine or clone?

OP
G
Reaction score
Sorry APFS.

Know I didn't know that about CleanMyMac - but I will look it up. It's always been very good for me.

And yes, I was hoping some people could recommend some date recovery software please.

Many Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
APFS is Apple's FileSystem, what password does it have? Do you mean Apple ID?

Do a web search for recovery software and you'll find many options, some even have a trial you can download to see if it will recover the data and you pay for it to recover.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As long as you had a Time Machine backup BEFORE you inadvertently trashed "SORT OUT", you can use TM to recover that Folder.

If you need help in doing this, just ask.

BTW, TM does not backup the Trash Folder so if you have no backup before you cleared Trash, then the data is lost - unless you are willing to spend a lot of money on recovery software or Professional companies to attempt same.

I'm really sorry that your are in this predicament.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I think the problem, Ian, is that he wants something put in that folder between the last backup and the trash event. If that is correct, it won't be in the backup, leaving him only expensive solutions that may or may not work.

Reaction score
I was hoping some people could recommend some date recovery software please.

Free suggestion (very powerful, but I don't know if it handles APFS disks; requires use of command line):

PhotoRec (free)
PhotoRec - CGSecurity

The most popular commercial product (I also don't know if this one handles APFS disks):

Data Rescue ($99) (Has a free demo that might tell you if the commercial version will do what you want.)
Prosoft Engineering, Inc.
Review:
Software Reviews & Buying Guides

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.