Best Programs For Freeing Up Hard Drive Space

Reaction score
monolingual just cleared up 3 gigs for me and this macbook is only 3 months old.

thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Off of a fresh install of Tiger with all udates applied iwork appleworks and ms office i took 2.4Gb off with monolingual, i checked everything except any english. A further 25mb with a few imput methods removed (like chinese and cyrillic) and after removing unneeded archetucres an aditional 658mb. thats about 3Gb's! (now i can put more music!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Does Monolingual eliminate the Mac's ability to display foreign fonts and such as well? I want to use it, but I want to be sure that all it does is take out the other language versions of Mac OS X. Also, what architecture is plain "PowerPC" supposed to be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I saved 2.9 gigs removing languages, 700megs removing PPC architectures and 17 megs removing keyboard layouts and input methods.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Might as well delete it after you're done =)

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Not a program, but I never use garageband, so I deleted /library/appleloops and saved 1.4 GB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Yeah, some programs (garageband in particular) do store a lot of files in /library, so it's not a bad idea to have a quick glance through there and delete the files associated with any apps you've already deleted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.8 w/ 8800GT / Black MacBook 2.16 C2D
2.2 GB freed with Monolingual.
If I remove Garage Band, can I reinstall it from my OSX discs? I don't think I will ever use that program, but I hate to delete it if there is no way to get it back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
It will also depend on how many programs you have with multiple languages. If you have less programs, there is less language files to delete, so the savings will be less.

Exactly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I just used monolingual on my 2 day old MacBook... removed ONLY the languages (I did NOT remove any "inputs / layouts)....

Monolingual reported 2.5 GB saved... finder reported it as 3.42 GB saved (I checked before and after).

Reaction score
I just saved 1.9Gb by deleting unused languages files -- not that I was hurting for space. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
i removed the office trail (350mb only :S) iWork trail (holy cow 3 GB!)

Reaction score
I used Monolingual and cleaned up all languages, architechtures and the other option i cant remember, all except English now whenever I log in I have to define my keyboard (when I press the button next to each shift key). what should I do to fix this?

Reaction score
...now whenever I log in I have to define my keyboard (when I press the button next to each shift key). what should I do to fix this?

Is it a wireless keyboard? I have a MS Wireless keyboard & mouse and I have to do that everytime I log off and reboot -- even before using Monolingual. In fact, I had to do a disk repair last night and had to plug in the Mac keyboard in order to boot from the install DVD.

Reaction score
Is it a wireless keyboard? I have a MS Wireless keyboard & mouse and I have to do that everytime I log off and reboot -- even before using Monolingual. In fact, I had to do a disk repair last night and had to plug in the Mac keyboard in order to boot from the install DVD.

yeah its wireless but I've never had to do this before, I know because my girlfriends family is here all week so I've been logging off my computer whenever I'm not using it so they can't touch my iMac :p never before have I had to set up my keyboard when logging off :(

edit: ok i rebooted and all is well lol. ive been using a mac so long i sometimes forget how to troubleshoot :p

Reaction score
What exactly is an architecture? I'm using an intel based mac [core 2 duo] and I'm iffy about what I should delete exactly. Is intel 64bit something I need?

Also I already removed the unneeded language packs [2.5g =)].

Thanks
-Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I used Monolingual and cleaned up all languages, architechtures and the other option i cant remember, all except English now whenever I log in I have to define my keyboard (when I press the button next to each shift key). what should I do to fix this?

You didn't read the instructions... you may need to reinstall the OS.. maybe Pacifist????

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.