Best Place to Buy Ram?

M

menace3054

I want to get a 1gb stick for my PB. I found it for 290 at 4Allmemory.com. anyone know of a cheap/better place? i have 768 now, but i just want the peace of mind knowing its maxed out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I would tend to agree, as that is a great place to get memory but he's saying he found a 1 gig stick for $290. Crucial's price on one gig stick $500. No, that's not a typo...$500 f'ing dollars. I couldn't believe it.

OP
M

MoltenLava

I tend to buy from eBay for these stuff. But eBay is not for everyone, so don't try this at home unless you are absolutely sure about it. ;)

FYI I bought two 512MB DDR 3200 DIMMs for $80 each on eBay. $290 for 1GB is a decent price. $500 is a rip off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
I went to www.ramseekers.com and you put in what kind of memory you need and what its for and it will give you a list of websites that carry it and their prices. When I did it, All4memory was the cheapest for the RAM but charged $32 overnight shipping while memorytogo.com was $5 higher in price but had a free overnight delivery special going on. At least it gave me the choices of where I could find it online so I didn't have to go on wild google search-a-thon.

rberry88

OP
M

Macsane

Overnight shipping only $8

rberry88 said:
I went to www.ramseekers.com and you put in what kind of memory you need and what its for and it will give you a list of websites that carry it and their prices. When I did it, All4memory was the cheapest for the RAM but charged $32 overnight shipping while memorytogo.com was $5 higher in price but had a free overnight delivery special going on. At least it gave me the choices of where I could find it online so I didn't have to go on wild google search-a-thon.

rberry88

I checked 4allmemory.com as well and they have $8.00 overnight shipping. I added 10 pieces to my cart and it still was only $8.00. As of now, the price has dropped to $169.99.

Reaction score
www.newegg.com

Prices MIGHT be a bit higher on the 1gig stick, never looked it up. But I've probably bought 10k worth of parts from them for myself and other people and they are the most flexible and easiest company I've ever worked with. They have the lowest shipping prices (most often free on small items) and have great return policies.

Seriously I've done so much great business with them that I can't see myself ever using anyone else for parts (besides mac stuff, they don't have a whole lot of mac hardware :p)

But if your gonna buy ram, I also recommend Corsair. You pay a higher price for a reason. Of all the years I've been troubleshooting and building PC's (I know kinda different ballgame) I've seen 2 bad sticks of corsair from the factory. Corsair just isn't bad.

Edit: Sorry I said Crucial, I meant corsair. Corsair is the best memory for the money, plus you can get some of their XMS for added performance. Best memory hands down.

Reaction score
Be careful with the crucial, it's alright memory but I've had alot of crucial die.

OP
S

SErgini0

Really Dominion?
I already bought memory for a PC laptop before and it survived more than a year (I actually sold the machine so i don't know what happened to it). And this is the second memory I buy....I hope nothing goes wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4 GHz iMac w/ 4GB RAM & 320GB HD
is there much difference between the cheapest memory stick and a top of the line stick? the 1GB stick at newegg.com looks like a great deal, but is it an inferior memory stick?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
You should check around your area and see if their any Apple resellers in the area. They might turn out to be the better choice in the long run, if you have any problems in the future.

I'm only saying this, because in my experience, I have found a better alternative than buy my memory online, buy at a Apple reseller. My local Apple reseller charged a very good competitive price, which was too good to give up, compared to any online store I could find. And they install the memory for free. And I know, if I do to have problems with their memory, I can just drive over there and have them look at and switch the memory out.

Reaction score
A friend sent me to datamem.com, and that's where I bought the memory for my iMac.

Reaction score
Fry's Electronics has some for $149.00. Using one in my PB G4 1.5ghz 15in now and no problems.

ed724

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
TigerDirect once had a sale where ULTRA PC3200 512 RAM sticks were $30 after the rebate...

Reaction score
Keep in mind you DEFINATLY get what you pay for regarding computer hardware. Especially with memory. My recommendation remains Corsair. It's expensive for a reason, not to mention it has a lifetime warranty, so if it EVER goes bad, you can have it replaced.

Other good brands are:
Kingston - Pretty good brand, decent QC out of the factory.
Crucial - Not a BAD ram, but I have seen it die after a couple years, alright if your on a budget. Expensive on older technologies though.
Corsair - My favorite obviously, its expensive but it rocks, if you can get XMS it's nice high performance memory. Each stick is tested and verified working before its shipped.
Geil - A decent chip, I've been running it in my PC machine for awhile with no problems.
Patriot - I hear its good for somethings but somethings it's not. I dont know about macs but I know that it's pretty picky on PC hardware and compatibility.

Those are just a few thoughts from me. Keep in mind I base all that on PC specs, and I recommend before buying any memory to check the memory website to verify compatibility.

And I also recommend newegg for your purchase needs ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.