Best Mac Laptop for Developers

mvk

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to enquire which is the
best MAC laptop for software engineers
preferably something that requires me to upgrade too often
also at least support of 16GB or 32GB if upgrade is needed.
Please advice.Thank you for your time!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

What is your budget? The ideal laptop is obviously the most loaded one like the fully loaded 15" Retina MBP.

OP
M

mvk

Reaction score
Thank you @ron4mac as well as Raz0rEdge
I'm seeing it in terms of long term investment.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...preferably something that requires me to upgrade too often also at least support of 16GB or 32GB if upgrade is needed.

For what it's worth...I don't think any current Apple notebook sold supports 32 gig of ram (16gig max).

As far as upgrading later. Pretty much no worries here.;) During the past couple years Apple has greatly reduced the ability of the end-user to upgrade Apple notebook computers. Traditionally...pretty much all an end-user could upgrade on an Apple notebook computer was the ram and the storage (hard drive).

Practically all Apple notebook computers now have the ram soldered onto the logic board (NOT upgradeable later by the end user). So all ram that will EVER be needed...needs to be configured at the time of purchase.

As far as storage upgrades. Practically all Apple notebook computers currently being sold have flash storage (no spinning hard drives). Apple intends for the storage on new Apple notebooks NOT to be upgradeable by the end-user. So again...all storage that an Apple notebook computer will ever need...needs to be configured at the time of purchase.

But...technically speaking...upgrading the storage on newer Apple notebook computers is possible (OWC/macsales.com does sell upgrades). Ram is 100% NOT upgradable after purchase.

So as you can see. It is best to configure the computer with as much ram & storage at the time of purchase as you will need in the future...and can afford right now.

Upgrading is really not a problem.;) Apple has mostly taken this option away from us (unfortunately)!:(

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.