Best display profile for photos?

Reaction score
I have just purchased an iMac for editing photos. What is the best display profile to choose for editing photos. I am in system prefences>displays> colour. display profile. I assume it should be appleRGB but not sure! I haven't got a calibrater tool yet, so what is best until I get one? Very frustrated!!

C

chas_m

You should have several options available, including a manual calibration. I may have a better eye than average, but I've always used the expert calibration test and done pretty well with it. If you don't want to go that route, I'd suggest the sRGB or Adobe settings if you have them available to you.

C

chas_m

I always calibrate, but I'm an old print guy.

Another option: find a photo that you know has good colour fidelity. In a neutral lighting environment (diffused natural light during high point of they day is often best), compare the physical print of the photo to the on-screen version. Now this is obviously never going to match exactly, since we're talking about two completely different ways of "seeing" a photo, but run through the preset options until you find one that most closely matches the photo. Then calibrate from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I always use a hardware calibration tool, then use sRGB (for print).. if you're expected output is to screen.. don't bother... I'm in the minority, most peoples monitors have no color management at all.. and your images will likely look 'weird' because of that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.