beachball when I try to open a file

Reaction score
I get a spinning beachball when I try to open files in various applications. For example, I tried opening up a php file that contained an audio stream in VLC (which I have done plenty of times before), and, once I select the file, the open dialog stays on top and I have a spinning beachball. The same is true in TextEdit when I try to open an rtf file. Again, the beachball only occurs once the file is clicked (selected) (but before pressing "open").

Any ideas?

OP
R
Reaction score
As an update, I restarted the Mac without an attached USB drive that wasn't being detected by the Mac. It seems that things are fixed when I do that.

M

MacHeadCase

Glad you got that sorted. And welcome to Mac-forums, rosh1182. It's highly possible that the undetected drive was slowing the system down.

What kind of USB drive would that be?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, what Brand/Size is this USB drive? How is it formatted?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.