Beach ball

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 1.83GHz, 1.25GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, ipod 30GB Video
I have had my Mac book for around a month now and I am very happy with the switch over. Lately though, while using Safari the page has frozen a few times with that beach ball just spinning. All I can do is shut down. It's happened on Youtube the most. Has this been happening to any of you? Any ideas of what is going on?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Never happened to me, But I have a level 32 geek power plus skill ability. Try emptying safari's cache, cookies, and then reset safari. Run disk utility and make sure you have the latest java, flash and what ever other plug-ins and software updates available. And most importantly, how much ram do you have, anything running in the background, do you have windows installed?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
is it just safari that hangs, or the whole computer?

if it's just safari you should be able to force quit it from the dock or from the apple menu.

take dadsgravy's advice though and follow all those instructions. that should help.

OP
leon1878
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it just hangs on Safari. I'm going try Dadsgravys advice and see if that helps. I am ot running windows and I have 512 Ram which I am strongly tinking about upgrading. Going to have to find a cheaper place to buy the ram though, $89 Canadian for 512mb in Future shop. Can't really afford 2 of them. Thanks for your help guys.

Is there a way you can select the cookies that you want to delete as I don't really want to enter all my passwords again.

M

MacHeadCase

You can clear manually the cookies so you can save those that are related to passwords (like for instance Mac-Forums). I know that Keychain takes care of passwords (especially if you ask it to Remember password) but I do know from experience that if you clear all cookies, you'll have to re-enter your passwords on websites such as this one once to let Safari know of those passwords. And yet those website passwords are still in Keychain!... I don't quite understand that one but this is what we have to go on for the moment.

To check your cookies, go to Safari's Preferences (⌘ + ,) -> Security tab and you click on the Show Cookies button. Be sure of what you clear in there: I once mistakenly deleted a cookie that belonged to one of the forums I used to hang out at the time and I had to log on all the time, even when I asked it to Remember password: it became easier simply to clear out all the cookies and start over again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Or, you could try a different browser such as Camino or Firefox, see if you prefer them and if they beachball, otherwise, follow MHC's instructions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
$89 Canadian for 512mb in Future shop. Can't really afford 2 of them.
Order online. A 1GB module at macsales.com is US$69. The big stores over charge. You might be able to find a small local dealer who has good pricing. Look into your local computer paper.

I recommend you buy a 1GB stick because that will leave you the ability to add another one later without having to buy two sticks again. Also, if your Macbook has two 256MB sticks, you'll end up with 1.25GB of ram instead of just 1GB. Every bit counts.

OP
leon1878
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Order online. A 1GB module at macsales.com is US$69. The big stores over charge. You might be able to find a small local dealer who has good pricing. Look into your local computer paper.

I recommend you buy a 1GB stick because that will leave you the ability to add another one later without having to buy two sticks again. Also, if your Macbook has two 256MB sticks, you'll end up with 1.25GB of ram instead of just 1GB. Every bit counts.

I added a 1GB stick yesterday which should be good for now. As you said, it gives me the option of adding another GB at latter date (when I can afford it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Hopefully the 1GB stick will help your beachball go away. My wife complains about the beachball on our mini sometimes - it, too has only 512MB of RAM. Fortunately all is not lost - she gets the Mac experience (and the gradual conversion) by using my MBP on occasion

OP
leon1878
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully the 1GB stick will help your beachball go away. My wife complains about the beachball on our mini sometimes - it, too has only 512MB of RAM. Fortunately all is not lost - she gets the Mac experience (and the gradual conversion) by using my MBP on occasion

Well, I know it's only been a day since I installed the RAM but I've not seen the ball at all.:headphone

M

MacHeadCase

[Off Topic]

Hey! Welcome back, nuke! How's the move going?

[/Off Topic]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.