• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Be safe Louisiana

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
How are you doing, Sly? Ida bother you much?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for asking.

We are fine here and have not gotten nearly as much rain as was originally projected. We've probably gotten an inch of rain or less here at this point.

There have been quite a bit of damage and power outages in New Orleans and the Southeastern part of the state but that is a few hours away from us.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
We in the UK have been watching developments re Hurricane Ida. We are well aware of what Katrina did - is it 16 years ago? - whenever. All I'm saying is that there are silent witnesses looking and hoping all is well. We don't take to social media and make statements on Twitter; but we still care. (y)

Ian

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Good to hear, Sly. Ida was nasty.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for thinking of us.

This storm was, in many ways, a monster. I think SWMBO saw something today that said the storm might have been larger, but it was in the process of a new cycle of eyewall development /consolidation. I think I saw some reports yesterday morning, a few hours before landfall, of wind gusts around 182 m.p.h.

Some areas are already beginning the clean-up, but it's going to take some time.

There are, of course, many comparisons to Hurricane Katrina, which made landfall on the same day in 2005. Ultimately the loss of life will be nowhere near as bad as that associated with Katrin. Much of the damage following Katrina was the result of levee breaks. This time the levees seem to be holding after many improvements were made.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thinking of you here in Bali as well. I'm glad to hear the levee breaks worked, many millions spent on them. Amazing coincidence that this happened on the anniversary of Katrina.
Best wishes to you and your family.

PS. My iPhone SE20 syncs notes to this old 2010 MacBook I'm now using while my 2015 MBP is away for repairs.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Rod. We are several hours northwest of where the storm made landfall, so many folks in our immediate area got less rain and wind than in a typical thunderstorm. There has been quite a bit of damage nearer to the heart of the storm with quite a bit of flooding, but Lovell, I think we will fare much better than during Katrina.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I had heard yesterday on the radio that all of New Orleans was out of power and they couldn't assess the damage until daylight. It's amazing to imagine having a major city blackout these days, but the catastrophic damage to the transmission lines for the utility can do that.

Hope things get sorted out quickly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Latest forecast on when power can be restored is 2 weeks. If you have ever been to New Orleans, you can see how close to the Gulf the city is. Most of New Orleans is below sea level protected by levees.

Actually, this storm (Ida) has left New Orleans in worse shape than Katrina did. Thank goodness loss of life was minimal but Ida sure did a number on the power grid.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I heard that long time to get things fixed up as well. Seems like a transmission tower fell into the Mississippi river it seems. So beyond just fixing the cables on all the streets, they have to deal with this tower that powered a large portion of New Orleans.

Sounds like a lot of people evacuated well before Ida hit and thus were safe and the ones who stayed wished they had left as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks for asking.

We are fine here and have not gotten nearly as much rain as was originally projected. We've probably gotten an inch of rain or less here at this point.

Good to hear your good news, and I would assume that it looks like you have power. Nice...

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. Fortunately, we never lost power. We're far enough North and West of the point of landfall that we got very little wind and rain. Some areas are projected to be without power for up to a month. ˆsaw something earlier today suggesting that as many as one million people are without power.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some areas are projected to be without power for up to a month. ˆsaw something earlier today suggesting that as many as one million people are without power.

Yeah, the "Big Easy" is in serious trouble. Their main transmission power line and pole that carries 75 KV was blown down and now lies at the bottom of the Mississippi. The hot weather is not helping things either. Was 90 degrees in New Orleans today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The hot weather is not helping things either. Was 90 degrees in New Orleans today.

As the headline article says...:
[QUOTEHardships are compounding for southeast Louisiana residents days after Hurricane Ida crushed the area: With no electricity service in dangerous heat, families are scrambling to find food and gas as supplies dwindle.

It's definitely not going to be comfortable or pleasant for many... We send them all our best wishes...

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.