• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Battery Update 1.2 Released

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
Wow... I am surprised at all the negative feedback on the Battery Update. When I first found out about from this posts actually! I was worried if I should go through with it or not.

But then my MacBook Poped out a message saying a I need a whole host of updates including a Mac OS X software upgrade. So I went for it. Since then the battery is been behaving, I've been getting about 5-10 mins extra depending on what I've been working on and power abuse of course. But no craziness. And also cwa107 if u remember my previous post with me freaking out about Battery longivity after a battery calibration, well that update cleaned it up. rite now am booted up in a coffee shop with wireless on and posting with 89% remaing with 4 hours to go till empty.!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I think my readings have stabilized, I'm currently getting 4:51 at 95%. I guess it needed one or two standby sessions after the calibration. I'm a happy camper again :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
so actual reports is that the new battery update will take some time for the software in the battery to run in

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, I decided to call Apple. I told them exactly what kind of battery life I was seeing and that I had installed the update, calibrated several times and have not seen any change. Without any questions, they shipped me a new battery and told me it should be here on Friday. They did take a $1 deposit via credit card and told me to ship the old battery back as soon as I received the replacement. The rep was very friendly and easy to work with, I was extremely impressed, this being my first experience with AppleCare. Kudos to them for being so proactive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Wow, that's awesome. Any other company would give you the runaround if you were to complain about an otherwise functioning battery.

I'm just glad my issue worked itself out. Hate it when things don't work :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
rite now am booted up in a coffee shop with wireless on and posting with 89% remaing with 4 hours to go till empty.!

Dang, that's great. I don't even get that kind of battery life with my PocketPC.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, that's awesome. Any other company would give you the runaround if you were to complain about an otherwise functioning battery.

I'm just glad my issue worked itself out. Hate it when things don't work :(

I couldn't believe it. My company buys Dell desktops/laptops and in my experience with other vendors like HP and Acer, their support is outstanding compared to the others. Dell will bend over backwards to get you parts and service in a timely fashion (at least as a large business). The one caveat is batteries. After 90-days, forget about it. Batteries are a consumable, and that's the end of the story.

I am simply flabbergasted by this whole situation. I didn't even ask for a new battery, I pretty much said that I wasn't happy with the battery life and was concerned - that's it. The next thing I knew, the rep offered me a new battery. Amazing. That's the kind of support that makes customers for life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
when reaching about 20% or less battery life, my battery icon now shows up red...i dont remember this ever happening before i installed the battery update...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
when reaching about 20% or less battery life, my battery icon now shows up red...i dont remember this ever happening before i installed the battery update...

Mine has always done this.

What do you guys mean by calibrating the battery? Is that where you drain it completely down and leave it that way for several hours before recharging it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Holy spamoney - the battery showed up today, less than 24 hours after placing my call to AppleCare. Unbelievable - and what a difference too. It showed up with half a charge and I'm already seeing a difference - almost 3 hours on half a charge. I'm not expecting that to hold up, but all I can say is WOW!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sweet, thats awesome man.

You think all the new batteries are probably better than the orignal ones. Mine, even tho I got the MacBook 2 weeks ago, was one of the so called "Bad Patch"?

Let me know ur thoughts

Cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sweet, thats awesome man.

You think all the new batteries are probably better than the orignal ones. Mine, even tho I got the MacBook 2 weeks ago, was one of the so called "Bad Patch"?

Let me know ur thoughts

Cheers

We'll see. I'm guessing it will take a few load cycles before I'll know what to expect - but for right now, there is a definite difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am beating myself with a Stick rite now for talking too soon :\

My battery started acting wacky since last nite... It just started loosing charge way too fast, I used to be able to last for at least a good 2 hrs till 50%, now I am down to may be an hour at best b4 I hit the 50%.

Called Apple earlier today, and the first guy I spoke to wasn't good, and he didn't wanna direct me through anything, non the less he transferred me to a different line, and the lady walked me through resetting my PMU and asked me a few questions and then decided that I need to get a new Battery.

So am gonna cross my fingers hoping I get it soon, b4 I fly out to MKE.

I'll update u guys when I do.

Cheers

Reaction score
I bought my MBP last november and I usually set it to never goto sleep. I get about 2 hours. If it malfunctions in like a year, do they sell just the battery alone and at what price. I'm just curious.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought my MBP last november and I usually set it to never goto sleep. I get about 2 hours. If it malfunctions in like a year, do they sell just the battery alone and at what price. I'm just curious.

Yes, you can buy replacement batteries from Apple for $129. I also read in MacWorld that someone (can't think of the name right now) is now selling aftermarket, extended capacity batteries for the MBP for $99. I'll post when I remember the name of the company.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 C2D, 1GB, 60GB, CD
Yes, you can buy replacement batteries from Apple for $129. I also read in MacWorld that someone (can't think of the name right now) is now selling aftermarket, extended capacity batteries for the MBP for $99. I'll post when I remember the name of the company.

Looking at latest issue of MacWorld and there is an ad for a company producing batteries for PowerBooks and iBooks. NuPower batteries. website is http://www.newertech.com.

Don't know if that was the place you were talking about cwa107.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sucks if nobody is selling it for MBP. I'd be concerned if mine dies and I have to shell out a big check for another one.

I think you misunderstood - the link I posted above is for the 15" MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.