Battery runs down overnight?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
before bed, battery was 100%, in the morning its down 7%-10%, trying to figure what cause the drop. so last night I ran Activity Monitor and the battery was 99% so this am was surprise its down to 87%?? Want to show u Activity Monitor and can u tell me what cause the drop??
CPU.png Energy.png Memory.png Disk.png Network.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Under Sys Prefs->Energy Saver, see if you have Wake for Network Access and Enable Power Nap are enabled. If they are, uncheck both of them, make NO other changes and monitor what happens the next night when the machine is charged to 100% and see how much of a drain there is.

While the computer is sleeping the energy draw is not 0, but very close to it as long as it doesn't wake up to do anything.

Report back what you find and then we can advice further.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When the MBA is sleeping, is the lid open or closed?

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Under Sys Prefs->Energy Saver, see if you have Wake for Network Access and Enable Power Nap are enabled. If they are, uncheck both of them, make NO other changes and monitor what happens the next night when the machine is charged to 100% and see how much of a drain there is.

While the computer is sleeping the energy draw is not 0, but very close to it as long as it doesn't wake up to do anything.

Report back what you find and then we can advice further.
I unchecked them both and will get back to u in the am
Thanks

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I uncheck both and the next morning, battery reads 97%... much better than it was. Not sure if u want me to post Activity Monitor report ?

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Ron, nope the Activity Monitor is only going to show you the current state of processes, not the historical stuff overnight, so not very helpful.

The Wake on Network Access is likely not a huge contributor to issues, but it was likely Power Nap that was causing your machine to do a lot of work and drain the battery.

You can totally live with the Power Nap feature disabled and that just means that things like the Time Machine backup will happen as you using the machine. The other things are nice to have anyway..

So I'd recommend leaving the settings the way they are now (unchecked) and move on..

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ron, nope the Activity Monitor is only going to show you the current state of processes, not the historical stuff overnight, so not very helpful.

The Wake on Network Access is likely not a huge contributor to issues, but it was likely Power Nap that was causing your machine to do a lot of work and drain the battery.

You can totally live with the Power Nap feature disabled and that just means that things like the Time Machine backup will happen as you using the machine. The other things are nice to have anyway..

So I'd recommend leaving the settings the way they are now (unchecked) and move on..
Got it and its good for 2 nd day. Many Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.