battery problems

Reaction score
hi
i bought a new macbook in january. No problems logging on with my power adapter. Nothing happening with my battery though. the icon on the right of the menu bar has an 'x' on it !?!
what's going on?
mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
does the battery hold ANY charge ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Try resetting the PRAM (start with the computer turned off, press and hold Command-Option-P-R, wait for the system to chime 3 times and then release). If not, check with AppleCare.

Reaction score
i got my mbp in mid feb. it was a refurb but the battery has taken a dump on me too. it holds the charge for about 10-15mins and then it just turns off on me. when i turn it on the battery health is 0-5%. ill get that replaced since im still under the warranty.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i got my mbp in mid feb. it was a refurb but the battery has taken a dump on me too. it holds the charge for about 10-15mins and then it just turns off on me. when i turn it on the battery health is 0-5%. ill get that replaced since im still under the warranty.

I hate to be a downer, but the Apple hardware warranty specifically excludes items that are considered to be "consumables", and batteries are specifically covered under that clause. You can read it here. I would recommend giving them a call at your earliest convenience to double-check that, but it's not uncommon for notebook manufacturers to have a shorter-term warranty on the battery (I know Dell is 90-days on the battery).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
The battery has a one year warranty. If you have more than 300 cycles on your battery in a year, then your battery wouldn't be covered. As far as the x goes, that is apples fault. Either because of a defective battery or what I think is something going screwy with the firmware. I have the x over my battery icon and I had 54 cycles and 94% battery health before it took a dump. Apple will fix it, just give them a call.

Reaction score
well it says my battery has only 37 cycles and its dead already? i think it is covered and it should be because it is kind of unlikely for a battery to die after about 3 months with so little cycles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
They can come up with as many policies as they like. However the battery is a component of the laptop and therefore they have to replace it if it develops a fault under normal use.

Consumer rights apply here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.