Battery for MacBook 5.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
I see prices from less than $20. to $139. for a replacement battery. What do I need to know about a replacement battery? What's the best value for a replacement battery?

Thanx in advance for any responses.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that the general concensus is...you get what you pay for. Since the inexpensive battery's ($20-$30) can come from a variety of vendors...folks have communicated the whole spectrum of experiences (bad to good).

So you have to decide/experiment when it comes to the inexpensive battery's.

- Nick

C

chas_m

Broadly speaking, Apple's batteries cost a lot not because Apple is an evil greedy corporation (if that were true, NewerTech's batteries of the same quality would be much cheaper), but because Apple (and other reputable battery makers) put a LOT of safety features in to the battery so that it does not explode, catch fire, or injure you.

Cheaper batteries -- take shortcuts. I'll leave it to you if its worth the risk. You can usually find reputable battery makers that can give you a battery for something a bit cheaper than what Apple charges, but dealers who are selling stuff WAY cheaper than Apple are generally to be avoided.

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that the general concensus is...you get what you pay for. Since the inexpensive battery's ($20-$30) can come from a variety of vendors...folks have communicated the whole spectrum of experiences (bad to good).

So you have to decide/experiment when it comes to the inexpensive battery's.

- Nick

I'd like a good battery, but one supposes that we will spend more to get the Apple name on a battery they likely don't even produce. I was hoping someone would have a recommendation as to a brand that is good quality, but at a reasonable price for my old Macbook 5.2

Thanx

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'd like a good battery, but one supposes that we will spend more to get the Apple name on a battery they likely don't even produce. I was hoping someone would have a recommendation as to a brand that is good quality, but at a reasonable price for my old Macbook 5.2

Thanx

I'm sure that is what you meant…but you also mentioned battery prices from $20 to $139. So the cheap $20 batteries needed to be commented on just as much as the $139 batteries.

Do you REALLY think that if the $20 batteries were just as good as the $139 Apple batteries…that ANYONE would buy a $139 Apple battery…heck no!!!

The truth is...the $20 batteries (for the most part) are cheap pieces of crap (depending who makes them & sells them)…and they could also present safety hazards. As I said above...some folks have reported decent experiences with them…and some have reported negative experiences.

If someone has an older 5-7 year old MacBook (that's only worth $200 bucks)…it certainly doesn't make sense to pay $139 for a new Apple battery…if the computer is only worth $200. So maybe someone in this situation rolls the dice with a $20-$30 battery.:)

If you want a recommendation for a decent replacement battery…check out OWC (macsales.com). They cost around $100. Less than Apple batteries…but not a TON less. Plus if you have a Unibody MacBook, MacBook Pro, or a MacBook Air…and you live near an Apple Store…the battery cost includes the installation of the battery (call it "free" battery install)!:)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure that is what you meant…but you also mentioned battery prices from $20 to $139. So the cheap $20 batteries needed to be commented on just as much as the $139 batteries.

Do you REALLY think that if the $20 batteries were just as good as the $139 Apple batteries…that ANYONE would buy a $139 Apple battery…heck no!!!

The truth is...the $20 batteries (for the most part) are cheap pieces of crap (depending who makes them & sells them)…and they could also present safety hazards. As I said above...some folks have reported decent experiences with them…and some have reported negative experiences.

If someone has an older 5-7 year old MacBook (that's only worth $200 bucks)…it certainly doesn't make sense to pay $139 for a new Apple battery…if the computer is only worth $200. So maybe someone in this situation rolls the dice with a $20-$30 battery.:)

If you want a recommendation for a decent replacement battery…check out OWC (macsales.com). They cost around $100. Less than Apple batteries…but not a TON less. Plus if you have a Unibody MacBook, MacBook Pro, or a MacBook Air…and you live near an Apple Store…the battery cost includes the installation of the battery (call it "free" battery install)!:)

HTH,

- Nick

What I was hoping for is that someone viewing had a good experience with a battery half way in between $30. & $130.

I looked at MacSales & the price of what seems to be a good battery was $89. MacSales was the kind of source for which I was looking originally! Thanx for the reference.

As you said a Macbook isn't worth much, but I bought this one at a reasonable price with a new hard drive & it's nice to use online when watching TV when I want to look something up related to a subject on TV. It's also nice to take my files with me on trips. I rarely use it away from AC, so maybe I'll just forget the battery & plug it into an outlet. It's a little heavy, but cheaper than a new Mac Laptop which likely wouldn't give me better service on the "Interweb" based on my needs. I've been using Mac's since I got a Mac Plus with 1 MG of Ram for my teaching needs! I think that was about in Sept. of 1880 as I remember. It worked on kerosene or steam as I remember, but was still better than dealing with DOS!

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.