Battery drains while at sleep

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 15" Mid 2012 Macbook Pro.
Recently I replaced the keyboard (liquid spill of course :). Everything seems to work fine except after putting it to sleep I come back next day and the battery is all drained, like it did not go to sleep properly.
After connecting it to power for a couple of minutes it works fine, and charges.

I the Power Saving settings seems to be fine, and it was going to sleep fine before the repair.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you in advance!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Immediately two things come to mind:

1. Liquid spills can be very unpredicable...something in addition to the keyboard could have been effected.
2. Since this is a 5-6 year old computer...the battery may be getting worn out & simply not have the runtime capacity it had when new. Maybe you could go into system information (About this Mac area)...and tell us what the battery cycle count is.

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Hi Nick, thanks you so much for the answer

- after the liquid spill it was dried by a professional repairer, and I was using it with an old keyboard (just with couple of keys damaged), waiting for a replacement keyboard to arrive. By around a month of use the battery worked just fine. So it started to "drain in sleep" right after I replaced the keyboard myself. (Well as you can guess I am very far from professional :) )
- battery Cycle Count is 1334, Condition: Normal.

Is it possible that I forgot to connect some connector that is responsible for battery sleep? Haha, sorry if this sounds lame :)

Thanks again!
V

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By around a month of use the battery worked just fine. So it started to "drain in sleep" right after I replaced the keyboard myself.

I'm guessing you did the replacement fine. There really aren't that many cables/connectors to miss...and if something was missed...I think the problems would be much more visible & widespread.

- battery Cycle Count is 1334, Condition: Normal.

Thanks for the battery cycle count info. That's a pretty high cycle count. Apple says that at 1000 cycles the battery should still retain 80% of the original runtime on a single charge. For example if a computer was supposed to get 10 hours of runtime on a single charge when brand new...at 1000 battery cycles it's supposed to still get 8 hours of runtime on a single charge (80%). But battery "aging" after 1000 cycles is not really defined. But if you're still getting plenty of runtime on a single charge...not too much to worry about at this time.

Here's something to try...do an SMC Reset and an NVRAM/PRAM Reset...and see if this helps:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Nick, it worked!

I did both resets yesterday, left on full charge overnight without a charger and today it has almost full charge.

Thank you so much for your time and help!
Cheers,

VM

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats VM...great we could help...and I'm not talking the royal "we"! Lol

The SMC Reset is always a good one when power issues are involved.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Nick, it worked!

A bit surprising considering, but give that man a cewpiedoll or at least a thumbsup recommendation at lest while one still can. ;)

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.