Battery Charging problem!! Please help

H

hen163

Hi, when I am charging the battery or using the iBook with the battery fitted in and still connecting to the A/C, the light on the power adapter plug sometimes goes off(I mean off, not green or orange, I think the power adapter is not actually working at this stage). if I pull the power adapter out of the wall socket then put it back in, the light turn on and start charging again(but sometimes only on for a short time). This has happened many times.

I tried to take the battery out and used the iBook power supplied by A/C only and it worked fine(the green light is always on).

I wonder any people here has the same problem and what the problem is, what can I do?

the spec of my iBook is G4 1GHz, 14", 256K L2 Cache, 640MB, 60G, AE.

thanks for your help

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
So if I understand it correctly. The problem only occurs, when the battery is installed?

How many times have you tried it plugged in with out the battery installed. Because I think that you are having a problem with the power adapter. I am on my third one now. There maybe a short on one of the ends.

OP
H

hen163

rman said:
So if I understand it correctly. The problem only occurs, when the battery is installed?

How many times have you tried it plugged in with out the battery installed. Because I think that you are having a problem with the power adapter. I am on my third one now. There maybe a short on one of the ends.

I just tried it(without the battery) once for a few hours and there was no problem. do u think it's the problem with the power adapter but not the battery? can I ask Apple to give me a replacement? the problem is that it only occurs sometimes, I cant show Apple what the problem is all the time coz it has no problem most of the time.

OP
B

blenford

iBook power adapter

I had a problem with my power adaptor - it did pretty much what you wrote about (stopped working, started working again). I kept on going and then one day the thing just shorted on me, started smoking out the thin wire and smelling really bad. I got really worried for my computer's health and disconnected everything.

I was out of warranty so couldn't get another one for free, and was in Israel at the time (almost a Mac-less world), but Apple UK helped find a supplier in Israel and I had a new adapter in a couple of days - before mybattery had even died!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.