Basic network question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz C2D MBP & 16GB White 3G iPhone
Disclaimer: I'm a new Mac user. Well, not yet as I'm picking up my MBP Sunday (yay!). I only have basic knowledge of computers so I apologize if my question borderlines on basic or common knowledge.

OK, to start off my current household DSL network has a Dell desktop connected via ethernet cable to a 2Wire 1000HW, which I believe is 802.11b. I took a quick look in the back and all there is is the AC power in, the ethernet cable to the Dell and the phoneline in. There are also three laptops that connect wirelessly to the 2Wire.

I am considering purchasing an airport extreme since it is N-compatible with my future MBP as well as the USB harddrive sharing feature for all the computers in the house.

Which brings me to my two questions:

1) Is the airport extreme an "all-in-one" like my old 2Wire or do I need to purchase another component for it to work? I never really understood router/access point/switch.

2) Is upgrading the network from a 802.11b to a 802.11n as simple as upgrading the modem/router? I know that the MBP and possibly the MB have N, and that the other laptops are 802.11G and will run at G.

Thank you in advance and I look forward being a member of this board!

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Hello.

1. No > you need to buy a modem as well > the airport express is a router and requires a DSL or Cable modem in order to access the internet.

2. Yes > If you buy a wireless router with N then the machines that also have n wireless support will be able to communicate with the router and other n devices at the faster speed. Communication between your MBP and another laptop using g will affectivly reduce the speed between both devices to that of the g standard.

You will see n speeds when transferring data from your MBP to the USB drive. The speed of b, g, or n will not really be an issue with regards to internet usage as the speed is usually limited by the DSL speed rather than your personal network.

OP
InvalidUserID
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello.

1. No > you need to buy a modem as well > the airport express is a router and requires a DSL or Cable modem in order to access the internet.

2. Yes > If you buy a wireless router with N then the machines that also have n wireless support will be able to communicate with the router and other n devices at the faster speed. Communication between your MBP and another laptop using g will affectivly reduce the speed between both devices to that of the g standard.

You will see n speeds when transferring data from your MBP to the USB drive. The speed of b, g, or n will not really be an issue with regards to internet usage as the speed is usually limited by the DSL speed rather than your personal network.

Thank you very much!

Is there a general DSL modem that people here seem to have positive results with?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just curious, who is your DSL provider?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Same here. I just a Speedstream 5100B that came from them when it was still SBC. Not sure what is out there but will check and get back to you.

OP
InvalidUserID
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same here. I just a Speedstream 5100B that came from them when it was still SBC. Not sure what is out there but will check and get back to you.

Since you mentioned Speedstream and that sounded familiar, I looked through a box in the garage that I have old computer parts in and I found my old modem from a few years back...Speedstream 5360. I used to use this back when I only had one computer and didn't need wireless in the house.

Would this old modem work with the Apple Extreme to give me 802.11n wireless?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Hello.

The modem does not affect wireless speeds.

The modem kind of acts as a bridge. You have your private home network running at the limits of your devices i.e. the MBP and Airport Extreme are running at n standards and the rest of the laptops are running at g speed.

The modem is kind of inivisible to the computers on your home network, they see the router (airport extreme) and no further - the router knows about the modem and the modem knows about the DSL line (and thanks to the router at the other end of that DSL line, the modem knows about the internet).

Your home network is going to be faster than the DSL connection which is limited by the speed of the plan you have signed up to.

So if you have an 8Mb DSL line then although your MBP can throw data at the router at n speeds, once it gets to the modem you are then limited by the speeds of the DSL line (or the server that hosts the site your visiting).

Perhaps I went off topic there... :)

OP
InvalidUserID
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello.

The modem does not affect wireless speeds.

The modem kind of acts as a bridge. You have your private home network running at the limits of your devices i.e. the MBP and Airport Extreme are running at n standards and the rest of the laptops are running at g speed.

The modem is kind of inivisible to the computers on your home network, they see the router (airport extreme) and no further - the router knows about the modem and the modem knows about the DSL line (and thanks to the router at the other end of that DSL line, the modem knows about the internet).

Your home network is going to be faster than the DSL connection which is limited by the speed of the plan you have signed up to.

So if you have an 8Mb DSL line then although your MBP can throw data at the router at n speeds, once it gets to the modem you are then limited by the speeds of the DSL line (or the server that hosts the site your visiting).

Perhaps I went off topic there... :)

Thank you. That helped me understand what I need to do quite a bit!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.