• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ban Internet news videos.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If it were presented in a text article, I can read about what they are saying in one forth the time or less, don't have to wait for their server to finally hand out the stream - stopping at random intervals when it gets busy, don't have to listen to the fan in my Air start to overspeed trying to handle Flash, and... so on. Sometimes, the load time is longer than the length of the news item.

Glad I'm not the only one. More often than not, the video content is a complete waste of time.

And I agree with member "cptkrf" about FM radio. It's turned into pure commercials and junk. I was tempted for awhile to subscribe to "Sirius" satellite radio but am not sure if the monthly fee is worth it. Most of their channels are as bad as Verizon's.

I tend to lease a new car every 3 years and the last several of them have come with XM/Sirius, which includes a free three month trial. To me, it's just not worth paying for - particularly since they're now slipping commercials into it as well.

It's almost as bad as cable, where I'm PAYING for the content, but still having to sit through commercials - but not just in between content, also in ads on the on-screen guide!

Thank goodness for the DVR! Doesn't help for online content, but it does cut more commercials out of my life. I've been known to watch two live football games at the same time. Pause one, watch the other (already paused) until a change of possession, switch back, etc.

Absolutely. What's really funny is that we rarely watch live TV anymore. Especially for shows like American Idol, where you have a 2 hour long show, which contains about 1:30 minutes of commercials and other fluff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.