Backup transfer

krs

Reaction score
There may not be a choice. As I said, at one point the boot drive HAD TO BE formatted APFS, and TM drive HAD TO BE formatted HFS+. Now, I think both have to be APFS. No options.
There may not be a choice. As I said, at one point the boot drive HAD TO BE formatted APFS, and TM drive HAD TO BE formatted HFS+. Now, I think both have to be APFS. No options.
I suppose having to have the external TM spinner drive formatted as APFS is not really an issue.
I certainly would not buy an SSD for backup or TM

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you, Guys............ no wonder I am confused. I am just looking to secure my data on a separate device in case of accidents and it looks like I can use Disk Utility to reconfigure if necessary.
Glad I asked, and thanks for being so ptient with me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
Thank you both for such thorough responses.

First, Pine Man, the whole problem is that I DONT keep ejecting the device. It is my MAC which keeps highlighting a message to say that it has not been ejected properly. This happens also when the iMAC might have been idle for several hours. I do habitually shut down the MAC over night which of course ejects the EHD as part of tha process. Where we live we are prone to flash power outages for a few seconds so maybe if one of those hits, the iMAC blips but the EHD cannot cope.

IWT, I agree the simple way would be to start afresh, but my concern is whether there is something which has been deleted which I later want to access so would search a back image. Maybe I have misunderstood the purpose of TM, noting your comment that TM is not supposed to be a backup storage system. My theory is that TM snapshots my system regularly so that in a sad event of iMAC failure I can reestablish my system (even on a fresh machine) with minimum concern, or maybe use TM to search for a back version of a file. I would be most interested to hear whether I have got that all wrong, and perhaps what I should be doing to protect my data.
I have 2 EHD that I alternate monthly (should I catch something that corrupts it all). I am also getting the error message that I didn’t eject a drive that hasn’t been connected for up to a month. Not just once but sometimes several times a day and then none for a week or more. The off line EHD is not powered when not being used as TM drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I am also getting the error message that I didn’t eject a drive that hasn’t been connected for up to a month.

I guess that is a case for one to start considering Gremlins at work somehow...

It seems rather strange to me. Sorry I don't have any other ideas.

I assume there are no file sharing/backup wireless type apps or equipment involved or running???

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.