BackUP to Time Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
I would like to do backups to Time Machine. My backups now using CCC to LeCie. Wondering if its possible to do back up using CCC to Time Machine and new Task ? Wont this conflect other

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If your backup drive is large enough (GB/TB), you could put those two different types of backup, on the same disk. First, Time Machine, will use a disk, or partition, and keep incrementally backing up until the disk space is filled. CCC ($$) will also do the same thing, if properly enabled.

TM is an app, just like CCC. Unless you actually mean Time Capsule, which is Apples’ Router/Disk Backup solution?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Only point to add is a warning: Two different BUs on the same Drive - Drive fails, BOTH BUs lost.

I always suggest that every BU should have its own External Hard Drive.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
+1 for what Ian said. Two backups should mean two different drives.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And really Ron, CCC will basically do the same thing as Time Machine as long as you select "SafetyNet On". You can always go back and recover deleted files if needed from the SafetyNet folder that CCC creates on the external drive you're using.

I would not place both CCC and Time Machine backups on the same drive. You know that old saying: "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" That also applies to making backups. ;D

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
I always suggest that every BU should have its own External Hard Drive.

Makes sense, I have to memorized that, I usually I think the opposite.Lol

And really Ron, CCC will basically do the same thing as Time Machine as long as you select "SafetyNet On". You can always go back and recover deleted files if needed from the SafetyNet folder that CCC creates on the external drive you're using.

I would not place both CCC and Time Machine backups on the same drive. You know that old saying: "Don't put all your eggs in one basket" That also applies to making backups. ;D

Safety Net is always off when I do LeCie, Should I turn it on if I want to recover?
For Time Machine I ll leave it on and think its the easiest way if I want to recover a file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@Dittoman1, I have had both my internal drive and backup drive fail in the same day, so I now have multiple drives involved. I do a CCC Clone (with Safety Net on) to an external SSD in an enclosure with USB3 connections, and a TM backup to a different drive, also in an external enclosure. I also back up to a network drive using CCC some files I would hate to lose (photos, mostly, as that was the saddest loss at the previous drive failures). Plus I have one off-site deep storage backup that I replace about once a month with a current version. Yes, I'm paranoid, but then, I did have the internal and backup drives fail the same day!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can empathize with anyone who has lost photos. We have tried to help folks in these forums over the years who neglected to make backups and then lost precious photos of loved ones or special events they attended. I now copy all my precious photos to separate CDs or DVDs. And I usually keep two copies of each.

I'm not paranoid, it's just my Mac is out to get me! LOL.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.