Backup external disc ... Kaput?

Reaction score
Time Machine external hard drive is not recognised when connected to iMac. In UtilitiesThe Hard disc is shown but the Backups text is grey and when doing Verify it reports 'Error:This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk. When doing this it shows Verify and Repair volume 'Time Machine Backups"
Volume repair complete.
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

At this point nothing seems to happen, after a number of hours and if 'Stop Repair' it advises not to exit as it may cause damage. Notice Capacity shown as 499.76GB but Available, Used and Number of Files all show nothing.

Is disk kaput or is there any hope for it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would trash that disk and replace it with a new one. When a disk takes that long to repair, it usually means it has multiple bad sectors. There's no point risking your data on it any longer. But before you throw it away, check the purchase date and if it's still under warranty, request a RMA from the manufacturer. Let them replace it with a new drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I would trash that disk and replace it with a new one. When a disk takes that long to repair, it usually means it has multiple bad sectors. There's no point risking your data on it any longer. But before you throw it away, check the purchase date and if it's still under warranty, request a RMA from the manufacturer. Let them replace it with a new drive.

Hi Chscag - agree, just buy a new external HD (or a replacement as you suggest, if possible) and start a new Time Machine (TM) Backup - but a question that has concerned me for years (after having at least 3 external HDs failed, all on PCs), can one really rely on just one external HD for backup support?

I now have CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) setup on two different external HDs to backup my iMac & MBPro (partitioned drives) - at present, just have single external HDs for TM for each of my computers - should one have additional redundant B/Us for that purpose - of course, another option would be to obtain a RAID 1 B/U drive but the expense?

Just trying to be well protected, especially since these HDs are pretty cheap - thanks for any comments or input from others - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I now have CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) setup on two different external HDs to backup my iMac & MBPro (partitioned drives) - at present, just have single external HDs for TM for each of my computers - should one have additional redundant B/Us for that purpose - of course, another option would be to obtain a RAID 1 B/U drive but the expense?

Currently I only have a 27" iMac but I keep 5 external hard drives sitting on my desk. I use two for CCC backups (redundant), 1 for Time Machine, and the other two I use for miscellaneous files and general storage. Both of them have the same content.

Back in the days of Windows and the dark ages, I used a tape drive to make backups and also a special program that would compress and make backups to DVDs. I guess I'm a bit paranoid about losing data. But having come from a long career of working with computers (main frames, mini's, and finally desktops) I learned long ago that computer hardware is unpredictable. Losing data from a main frame without a backup generally meant you were soon out of a job. (fired)

Your backup plan is good but there's always room for improvement. ;) So yes, redundancy is a good thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I dare say, I don't care how many current backup drives one has or keeps near their computer(s) - they can easily become useless in case of a break-in or fire. So it's not much of a backup!! :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah right, and the earth could be hit by a 20 mile wide asteroid destroying your off site backup and the entire world.... ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, cold happen chscag!! As our house builder would say - S**t Happens!!

But no joke, a lady that lives just a short distance away from us lost all her Macs and iDevices, along with the small USB backup drive from a break-in several months ago.And she lives in what is considered a very safe neighbourhood. A real bummer.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yup, cold happen chscag!! As our house builder would say - S**t Happens!!

But no joke, a lady that lives just a short distance away from us lost all her Macs and iDevices, along with the small USB backup drive from a break-in several months ago.And she lives in what is considered a very safe neighbourhood. A real bummer.

Problem with keeping all your devices on the desk. I know it sounds strange but I keep my backup drive in the bottom of my sock drawer.:Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know several people who keep a backup drive along with some of their valuables in an airtight container in their deep-freeze, as suggested by our local fire chief years ago.

As he pointed out, burglars usually won't bother and the freezer's contents nearly always survive a fire, even when they've fallen through the top burnt through wooden floors and escape all the water from the fire department.

EDIT:
Before the onslaught of the doubters and naysayers:
"A consumer freezer can't get cold enough to damage a hard drive. The minimal non-operational hard drive temperature is around minus 40 degrees Celsius. "
http://smallbusiness.chron.com/safe-temperature-store-hard-drive-66205.html

But do let it thaw in it's airtight container before using such a stored HDD. :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Yeah right, and the earth could be hit by a 20 mile wide asteroid destroying your off site backup and the entire world.... ;P

Yep, the destruction of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago may strike us @ any moment! ;)

Backup strategies are lengthy w/ the final step being 'off premises' storage - certainly important in a critical situation, i.e. a profession, business, etc.

BUT, how many times have we responded to posts where the OP has absolutely no BACKUP? Of course, often, so let's at least start w/ the simplest recommendation, i.e. use @ least TM, then do a cloned backup, and finally an additional backup of personal files (e.g. external HD, USB flash drive, or online) - those are my basics - but then comes redundancy adding further to the mix, and finally if felt needed 'off premises' storage (which could be done in the cloud). Obviously, this can be a never ending argument. Dave :)

Last edited:
OP
E
Reaction score
Ran Disk Utilities on a different iMac and it attempted to do quiet a bit but in the final part it reported Disk Error and to use Ease. Since doing this the Hard Disk has been found by iMac immediately and after doing first Time Machine a successful backup.

Time wil tell if it is OK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ran Disk Utilities on a different iMac and it attempted to do quiet a bit but in the final part it reported Disk Error and to use Ease. Since doing this the Hard Disk has been found by iMac immediately and after doing first Time Machine a successful backup.

Time wil tell if it is OK

When erasing such a goofy or corrupt drive, I find, and it's also recommended, to use the option to zero-out or single security pass erase that will also map out any bad sectors of the HDD.

Well worth the extra step and time IMHO. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.