Backlight on 2006 Macbook

Reaction score
Hello I have a 2006 Macbook, rebuilt several times. Now I notice when I dim the screen (using the brightness controls on F1 and F2) the left hand third screen appears black or very dark, while the right two-thirds just dims a little. Can anyone tell me what is happening, and if the problem is likely to get worse. It does not matter at the moment as it is fine on full brightness but I would like to know if it going to get worse

C

chas_m

Well yes, of course it's going to get worse. It's a nearly nine-year-old computer. Get a new(er) one.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok

Well yes I guess that's a good reply from the University of the Bleedin' Obvious, thanks.
Perhaps though you could enlighten me as to what causes it, ie is it a backlight failure of say one of two or three lights, is it inevitable that it is a general failure of all backlights, (how many are there since the tight hand part of the screen is ok at the moment) etc

i was hoping for a somewhat more constructive reply on a mac forum

Incidentally i can't afford a newer one at the moment

C

chas_m

None of us ever can until we have no choice, and then -- magically -- we find a way. I'm suggesting you start planning rather than waiting until you are up a creek, that's all.

If it's working fine on full brightness (ouch, I don't think I've ever used a computer on full brightness, must be my vampire side of the family :)), then this would suggest that the problem isn't the bulbs but the display inverter (and its the most common part to have a problem in this area). I'd suggest you consider just taking a chance and replacing it in the hopes that that is the problem.

Since I'm not sure what model this is exactly, here's a link to the display inverter repair guides for a core duo Macbook: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Core+Duo+Inverter+Replacement/308

Not a fun job. Glad I don't have to do these anymore.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My old iMac G5 got that way except it was the 1/3 bottom that was much darker. It was the Bottom backlight that was not lighting but in my case, it was a bad connection to that backlight to the Inverter board. Fixed that and the screen was normal. Could be the Macbook uses one on each side of the LCD instead of on Top and Bottom.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A 2006 MacBook has its backlight embedded within the display area and is of the older type fluorescent tube. Very difficult to change out. Apple recommends changing the entire display instead. However, as chas_m recommended, you can try the inverter first, but my personal opinion based on your description tells me it's likely the tube which is defective or failing. You can buy a new display for your 2006 MacBook from several on line vendors. If I remember correctly, the display price varies around $150 to $200 and you provide the labor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.